What resources do I have looking for work in NYC's tech field?
August 9, 2013 10:19 AM Subscribe
I wrapped up graduate school in May, now I don't know where to find a job.
My graduate program is a design and technology program located in NYC. I spent a lot of time building web application prototypes and testing them with users. Now what?
posted by hobodeluxe to technology (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Over the past few months I have met with a handful of tech startups here in NYC, where I market myself as a web developer and interaction design specialist. For the most part, these startups sought me out.
Unfortunately, nothing panned out and I don't know what to do next in regards to searching for work.
While I am still open to the idea of working for a startup, it appears working for a more established organization or design shop might be better for me.
Here's what I have been doing:
- Keeping my LinkedIn and portfolio/website up to date
- Keeping an eye on my grad program's jobs board
- Coding new projects to keep me busy/give me something to blog about
Here are my questions:
1. Are there jobs boards for web developers and designers that I should look at?
2. I am looking for a position that pays between $100 to $120k. Is this realistic?
3. There are a lot of recruiters in the industry. Are some more reputable than others and where do I find them?
4. Is there anything else I should know about as far as navigating this industry?