Best way to sell assortment of fine vintage clothes and items?
June 25, 2013 9:32 AM Subscribe
I have a small assortment of rather choice* vintage clothes, textiles and miscellany. I would like to sell it all. I'm already eBaying a large volume of other stuff, I am an average photographer with an average camera and honestly, eBay doesn't seem like the best place to sell these things - a couple are rare collector pieces.
What are some good ways to do this besides eBay and what are your experience of them? Also, how can I figure out what is a reasonable price if I do sell to a dealer? I'd be glad to hear from you as a dealer or as a skilled amateur.
I am willing to balance ease and profit - I don't have to have the most lucrative method, although if selling to a dealer means getting pennies on the dollar, I'd rather not do that.
These are all beautiful things that I collected over the years just because I saw them at good prices. I've come to realize lately that it's a shame to have them sitting boxed up instead of being worn.
*Here's what I've got in case it helps:
-Fifties Dior department store (not couture) pink duchesse satin party dress, no flaws except staple punctures from the thrift store tag, maybe never worn (Saver's, $5.99 back in the nineties)
-Incredible mod Bendel's silk shift dress
-Hanae Mori "lit match" print wool suit from the seventies
- Large-size unusual fifties atomic print cotton dress
- Four or five really choice fifties and sixties vintage dresses and jackets in beautiful shape, wools and silks in nice colors and unusual styles, silk linings, unusually fine beading, etc
- Four or five less-good dresses - a couple beautiful but with minor flaws, a couple perfect but cheaper construction
-Some nice separates - fifties full silk skirt, designer blouses from sixties and seventies
-Four or five unusual fabric handbags in perfect condition
-A couple of nice vintage velvet and silk opera coats, one in a large size
-Worth Belle Epoque winter coat in wearable condition
-Three perfect vintage cashmere coats from fifties - seventies, two in unusual colors
- Three plus-size vintage (sixties) wool coats in nice colors and patterns
- Two thirties flamenco shawls, machine embroidery
- A few other pieces of vintage lace and textiles
- A small selection of nice mid-century glass and ceramics, almost all signed by firms or designers