I have the opportunity to take a new job in Boulder, Colorado, and I need to figure out if I'd enjoy living there.
I've been there once, as a day trip out from Denver, and enjoyed what I saw. That's good! I was a fan of the restaurants, and the bike-friendliness, and the people. But I don't know enough about the place itself just yet to be sure I want to uproot myself and move two thousand miles from everyone and everything I love. So:
- what sorts of art/music/food/etc. festivals are there? One of the best things about living where I am now is the huge thrice-yearly street festival.
- how much is a cup of coffee, a gallon of gas, or any other relative measurement of cost of living?
- what's the nightlife like?
- my current mortgage is ~$1800/month for a 1600sqft 3BR house on a quarter acre. What should my expectations be if I choose to buy something? If I choose to rent? If I want to pay, say, $1500/month instead?
- how long does it typically take to get to Denver? How often would one find themselves driving down there for something (bar, food, store, concert) that isn't available in Boulder?
- what's the dating scene and like for a straight white dude in his early 30s?
- is everything in this thread
- what else should I know about that I might not already?
thanks a ton for any input!