Setting up a Life in 10 Days?
June 3, 2013 12:39 PM Subscribe
I'm going to be in NYC next week where I'll be looking for a sublet, and trying to get a handle on jobs. I'm hoping to move in early July. What can I do in 10 days to find a full-time job as quickly as possible in my field? I'm looking for work in content strategy/communications.
posted by Violet Blue to Work & Money (18 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I've interviewed with two headhunters, who both spent about a half hour talking to me. One said at the most it would take three months to find me something. The other asked how quickly I could get to NY if need be. It's been a month already and nothing. I've asked both of these agents about the possibilities for freelance work, but haven't heard back yet. (Is it possible I'll never hear back? I was sent to them through a Mefite recommendation. Also, they've seen my LI page, resume, and portfolio, so they should have some sense of my saleability, no?)
- In the meantime, I've contacted another three agents.
- I've designed business cards
- I've signed up for about 8 tech-type meet-ups in NY/Brooklyn, though only one will probably meet while I'm in NY.
- I'm in the midst of answering a full-time job advertisement. On the whole, I'm not seeing much advertised that's appropriate on simplyhired/indeed/craigslist.
- I've identified two or three companies that interest me. Should I write (?) or call (?) asking for informational interviews? How does that work in NY? (Or anywhere? But particularly NY, given its size.)
What else am I missing?
This is an expensive trip for me, and feeling ready to re-embark on the jobhunt with a new skillset has been a long time coming. What else can I do?
I'm leery of moving without a job, am afraid I'll get one no other way, so then I worry how long it will take....