What is wrong with my iPhone?
May 21, 2013 8:23 AM Subscribe
I got my iPhone 4 in October 2011. The past few months, it has had a couple of really annoying issues:
posted by rabbitrabbit to Technology (9 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
1. It is very, very slow. If I open an app, it is about 10-30 seconds before I can do anything (before that it's just unresponsive). And even after that, it is VERY slow compared to my husband's iPhone 4 (which he has had about a year longer than I've had mine).
2. Half the time when I plug it in, it doesn't charge (no acknowledging charging beep/vibrate, no charging icon in upper right corner). I then have to shut the phone off and plug it in. It always charges when it's turned off.
3. Recently when I was using a turn-by-turn navigation app (Waze) the phone kept "losing" GPS signal (in an area that's always had fine signal before, and in fact it was still showing plenty of bars and 3G) and it got very hot to the touch, especially on the back (it was not charging at the time). I don't even know what to make of this one.
Things I've tried:
1. For the slowness, I tried removing the 1,000 or so photos and videos that I had in Camera Roll. My phone was pretty full. I had very high hopes that this would help, but the phone has a ton of free space now and the slowness has not improved.
2. For the charging issues, I tried new chargers. I figured maybe my chargers were bad and that's why it wasn't charging sometimes, but nope. I kind of knew this couldn't be the problem, since it ALWAYS charges after I turn it off.
Um, what next? Even with my advanced Google-fu, I'm not finding much about these particular issues, there is just a ton of noise about iPhones on the Internet. Would an Apple Genius be able to help? Is my phone just reaching the end of its life? (I find this hard to accept, like I said, my husband's iPhone 4 is a year older than mine and it still works fine.)
I don't even know what else might be relevant. I'm running the latest iOS 6.1.3. I'm on Verizon. It has always had an OtterBox on it, I do have a toddler that puts his sticky hands on it sometimes, but mostly that's just on the glass because it's in a case. I use my phone quite a bit for web surfing, Shazam, Facebook, and games (god it's so annoying to watch the candy blow up in slow-motion in Candy Crush), a bit of texting, and rarely as an actual phone. I charge it every night overnight (I use it as my alarm clock). I have 7-8 pages of apps (nothing in folders, so that's about 115 apps.