What are your family-style, urban living life hacks?
May 20, 2013 6:11 AM Subscribe
Mrs. Quizicalcoatl and I are finally moving to the Boston area with our 9- and 7-year old. What do we need to know?
posted by Quizicalcoatl to Grab Bag (22 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite
Here are some things that might impact what we need to know:
1) We've signed the lease on a small apartment in north Brookline, and we'll be moving in July/August.
2) We'll be within walking distance of the T and will be downsizing to 1 car, which Mrs. Quizicalcoatl will be using to commute to work.
3) The kiddos will be going to public school.
4) I'll be a full time dad for at least the first 6 months to 1 year and, although I may do some part time work after we're settled in, we're thinking that my main occupation will be that of a primary caregiver.
5) There's a laundry room down the hall in our building and a playground across the street.
6) Although we've been taking day trips to Boston for years, we're lifelong suburbanites/ruralites/small-towners.
So, how do we access the best parts of this lifestyle and location and how do we avoid the worst parts? What are the indispensable accoutrements, tips and tricks, and life hacks for the great, big city? If you live in an urban area, what item could you not live without? What pieces of information are you most glad to know? What practical shortcut keeps you safe, healthy, happy, etc.?