Come on baby, let's stop the twist

I can't walk ten paces without most of my skirts rotating at least a quarter turn. (Clockwise, if it matters.) My waist is pretty small compared to my hips, and I'm buying sizes that are (otherwise) appropriate. Annoyingly, they never seem to rotate in the store so I can't weed out the duds. The suggestions I've seen (gripper waistband, tucking my shirts in, using safety pins), don't work because I generally don't wear tucked-in shirts or nylons. Snugtex wouldn't have much to, ah, snug to, besides bare skin. Suggestions, please?
posted by 2soxy4mypuppet to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (10 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Get them tailored. Have them taken in at the waist.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 5:01 PM on May 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

are you wearing an underskirt? would perhaps lessen the friction
posted by runincircles at 5:17 PM on May 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Check whether your purse is contributing. I don't know exactly why, but my skirts always used to rotate to the left, the side on which I'd hand my purse and tote. But it only for skirts where the waist was too big. I solved the problem by growing larger, sadly.
posted by Measured Out my Life in Coffeespoons at 5:21 PM on May 11, 2013 [13 favorites]

This happens to me every time I wear a backpack with a skirt, even with a tucked-in shirt. That's likely due to the backpack rubbing but I have found it happens more when I walk quicker or wear shoes that make me toddle side-to-side a bit.
posted by thewestinggame at 5:40 PM on May 11, 2013

Have you actually tried a smaller size?
posted by BlahLaLa at 6:00 PM on May 11, 2013

If they can spin, they're too big somewhere. Tailoring should help!
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 6:09 PM on May 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

skirts with built in shorts!
(well honestly that would work but i dont think they sell so many of these)

i have the same problem.
posted by nzydarkxj at 6:43 PM on May 11, 2013

Fashion tape?
posted by deliciae at 10:10 PM on May 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Seconding that they are too big somewhere (most likely the waist), or that they are rubbing against your bag/purse.
posted by xmts at 11:02 PM on May 11, 2013

skirts with built in shorts!

The turning thing doesn't happen to me, but I love Athleta skorts for many other reasons.
posted by vegartanipla at 6:20 AM on May 12, 2013

« Older Somebody I am very close to is...   |  What in the world could be cau... Newer »