I didn't used to be bad at this.

Follow up to this question I asked a while back. Yes, another email verbiage question.

There was a time when I was really good at crafting emails/memos/correspondence/etc. However, now that I've been unemployed for eight months, my brain is apparently atrophying.

Backstory: To summarize the question I linked to above the fold...back in December I got some intel about a job lead from an industry colleague. I emailed the contact at the company (with the help of many of you lovely folks) regarding the potential opportunity with my resume. The contact responded by saying that they weren't hiring at the moment, but did plan on bringing in someone new midway through the next year.

Seeing as it's coming upon midway through the next year, I sent her a follow-up email reiterating my interest in the company with an updated resume (I've been doing some freelancing). She replied saying that unfortunately they haven't been able to drum up as many projects as they would like so they still aren't hiring, but she will definitely keep me in mind once things get rolling for them.

I'd like to respond to her email thanking her for updating me and reiterating my desire to stay in touch/be considered once they have projects on deck. I've been staring at the compose screen in gmail for the last 30 minutes and my mind is completely empty. I don't want to come off like a sycophant, but I also don't want to seem rude or abrupt.

I've come up with:

Hi [name] - thanks for the update!

And then I get stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm sorry to once again solicit the hive-mind to help me write a damn email; you'd think by now I'd be a pro at this after 8 months of pounding the payment looking for full-time work but no, somehow it just gets harder and harder. This is so humiliating.
posted by thereemix to Work & Money (3 answers total)

Hi [name] --

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. I hope business picks up. Please do keep me in mind.

-- thereemix
posted by Etrigan at 1:43 PM on May 8, 2013 [8 favorites]

Short and sweet and so you don't get stuck in the endless loop of thanking each other, which is annoying. To be brutally honest, unless you've got something new in terms of your skills, projects, etc. to tell her about, I'm not sure that you need to reply again to her. She knows you're interested.
posted by Ideefixe at 1:46 PM on May 8, 2013 [2 favorites]

Etrigan has it. You might also want to add a sentence about your freelancing and how well it meshes up with the things they do at this company. Like: The widget wrangling I did back in January for Company X was really interesting and fun, and I since I know Your Company is an industry leader in widgets, I'm very excited about the opportunity to join your team.

You did ask for an informational interview last time, right?
posted by Rock Steady at 1:47 PM on May 8, 2013 [3 favorites]

« Older Can I find a replacement part ...   |  I'm trying to find an example ... Newer »