Who is the most powerful enemy that Batman has defeated?

Who is the most powerful enemy that Batman has defeated? How did he do it? I am mostly interested in single enemies, but if Batman's most powerful defeated enemy is something like a corporation or government, I would love to know that too. Comics, movies and TV series welcome.
posted by Doroteo Arango II to Society & Culture (13 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

As part of the Justice League, Darkseid.

Alone? Ra's al Ghul.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 10:55 PM on May 4, 2013

Superman.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 11:31 PM on May 4, 2013 [12 favorites]

Bat-Mite. A silly little bugger, but with the power of the Q.

(I just typed that at 11:35 on a Saturday night. Something has gone very wrong with my life.)
posted by Ursula Hitler at 11:36 PM on May 4, 2013 [5 favorites]

Thanks for the answers so far. It would be great if you added a little bit about how it happened, like Batman defeated Foo, who has the power to crush planets in his fists, by beating him at tic-tac-toe.

Ursula, you know who else spend Saturday nights thinking about super men dressed in black?
posted by Doroteo Arango II at 1:37 AM on May 5, 2013 [1 favorite]

In the case of Superman, he used the obvious approach: kryptonite. It happened in Frank Miller's The Dark knight Returns, which isn't exactly mainline Batman canon, but it has subsequently been established in canon that Batman keeps some kryptonite around, "just in case".

As for Bat-Mite... has Batman ever actually defeated him? I thought he usually just went away of his own accord.
posted by baf at 2:05 AM on May 5, 2013 [3 favorites]

I must admit I'm not a Bat-Mite expert, and Wikipedia isn't very helpful. My impression of the character is mostly based on dimly-recalled Superfriends reruns from when I was a kid. I had the impression that Batman would usually shame him into fixing his magical messes or trick him into going away.

If we eliminate Bat-Mite... I'm gonna go with the Superman fight in The Dark Knight Returns. It may not be comic book canon, but then, neither are the movies, TV shows, etc. With Batman, you sort of have to regard each version's canon as its own thing. Batman is large, he contains multitudes.

It's been ages since I've read the book, but as I recall Batman fought Superman while wearing a big armored combat suit thing, and Batman was getting his ass kicked pretty badly when it was revealed that the whole thing was really a sneaky trap, and Green Arrow shot Superman with a kryptonite arrow. Then, while Superman was weakened, Batman thrashed him.

"Ursula, you know who else spend Saturday nights thinking about super men dressed in black?"

Rick Santorum? I mean, sure, obviously. But maybe you had somebody else in mind...
posted by Ursula Hitler at 2:49 AM on May 5, 2013 [2 favorites]

In Final Crisis, Batman defeated Darkseid, a literal god and generally the baddest thing in the DC universe, by breaking his cardinal rule of no guns: he shot him with a bullet made of Radion, a rare element toxic to Darkseid's people. It was medium stupid, but a win's a win.
posted by Simon! at 5:00 AM on May 5, 2013 [2 favorites]

In the "Legion" TV show, one time, Batman defeated the entire Legion of Doom. He did it by bribing one of them to betray all the others.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 7:10 AM on May 5, 2013

Nth'ing Superman. Other people have beaten Darkseid or Ra's al Ghul or other villains, because that's what villains are for. But Superman? That's big.
posted by Etrigan at 9:03 AM on May 5, 2013 [1 favorite]

Batman has also defeated Owlman, which is to say, he's defeated himself, and you don't get more bad-ass than that.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 10:24 AM on May 5, 2013 [2 favorites]

Thank you for the answers. Now I have some reading to do.
posted by Doroteo Arango II at 1:13 PM on May 5, 2013

Another "enemy" that he has to contend with is himself (not as Owlman), metaphorically and in reality. Opinions differ on whether he has been successful, and it's most deeply explored in Miller's not exactly canon books.

He also sometimes defeats Joker, but Joker is really his villain that hardly anyone ever sees and there's a lot of speculation/possibility that Joker is also Batman himself, sometimes, depending on what you consider canon, and whether mind games count.

But yeah, Superman, because Batman is a trickster and absolutely does not mind playing dirty. Batman's ethical code is so strict that violation would probably kill Batman, but it doesn't keep him from fighting really utterly dirty. Superman is in contrast an innocent.
posted by kalessin at 9:19 AM on May 6, 2013

Cool Papa Bell: Batman has also defeated Owlman, which is to say, he's defeated himself, and you don't get more bad-ass than that.
Baah. If I had a nickel for every time I knocked myself down...
posted by IAmBroom at 2:59 PM on May 6, 2013

« Older Is this a normal amount of tim...   |  I've just inherited a really g... Newer »