Your Favorite Interview-Format Podcasts?

What are your favorite interview-format podcasts?

I love listening to arts and culture podcasts that are in interview format. I.e. Host has a guest or two on and they talk about the guest's career and such for 20 minutes or so. I LOVE meaty, thoughtful interviews where it's about more than just shilling the latest book, CD, etc and there's substantial discussion taking place. Some examples:

How Was Your Week with Julie Klausner
Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin
Hivecast with Matt Pinfield
Low Times with Tom Scharpling, etc
Girl on Guy with Aisha Taylor
Morning Becomes Electric

(Interviews with '80s-'00s alt-rock musicians in particular is like crack to me.)

Podcasts I'm familiar with but not a fan of so no need to recommend them:

Q, WTF (with Maron), any of the "shock jocks"

posted by oceanview to Media & Arts (22 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite

You don't have Fresh Air with Terry Gross on either list -- it's not just arts & culture, she interviews people from all over the place (though generally people with something to shill, but she definitely does the meaty, thoughtful interview), but it's fantastic.
posted by brainmouse at 1:54 PM on May 2, 2013 [1 favorite]

You don't have Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, but based on the list you have, I would think that you already know about it. That's my personal fave for arts/culture.
posted by SpicyMustard at 1:59 PM on May 2, 2013 [3 favorites]

You should definitely look at the Nerdist. Comedy is a big focus, but they also have really good interviews/conversations with their guests. It regularly is both funny and deep- definitely one I listen to every week.
posted by Bibliogeek at 2:03 PM on May 2, 2013 [3 favorites]

Jeff Goldsmith's podcast (try http://www.unlikely.com/podcastarchive.html) is about screenwriting, and is surprisingly enjoyable even for those of us who have no real understanding of the entertainment industry.
posted by Yowser at 2:05 PM on May 2, 2013

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre podcast is pretty great for this if you are interested in UK stand up at all. He does go for jokes, but can ask some pretty insightful questions along the way (the one with Stewart Lee is particularly good for that, as one might expect). For more of the same, Robin and Josie's utter shambles sooort of does have an interview, but in a more shambolic manner.
posted by Cannon Fodder at 2:27 PM on May 2, 2013

Mark Marin's show?
posted by acm at 2:33 PM on May 2, 2013 [1 favorite]

If you have not already, definitely check out Bullseye with Jesse Thorn.

Also:

Studio 360 with Kurt Anderson features in-depth conversations with a pretty diverse group of artists and thinkers.

For some lighter fare, there's American Public Media's Dinner Party Download, which isn't especially deep, but the hosts do ask more interesting questions of their guests than the run-of-the-mill publicity-tour stuff.

Probably my favorite podcast in the culture-interview genre, though, is WNYC's Leonard Lopate Show. Lopate is a genial, urbane host (and kind of a character in his own right), and he has a pretty eclectic range of guests and topics.

Oh -- and while this podcast is pretty comedian-centric and a little inside baseball-y, The Mental Illness Happy Hour goes a lot deeper into the guests' inner lives than your standard comedy podcast.
posted by El Sabor Asiatico at 2:51 PM on May 2, 2013 [2 favorites]

Pete Holmes's You Made It Weird, and The Mental Illness Happy Hour with Paul Gilmartin (it's about mental illness, so it's sometimes kind of heavy). Also Erin McGathy's This Feels Terrible, which is primarily about sex and relationships.
posted by Lyn Never at 2:54 PM on May 2, 2013 [4 favorites]

By the Way with Jeff Garlin
posted by backwards guitar at 3:17 PM on May 2, 2013

Yes Nerdist has great interviews! Pete Holmes is hit or miss.
posted by radioamy at 3:29 PM on May 2, 2013

You'll like the new disruptors, with Glenn Fleishman. He focuses a lot on new internet-ey companies (he seems to love 3D printers) and the people behind them
posted by jourman2 at 3:30 PM on May 2, 2013

Backwards guitar already mentioned it, but I just came back here to suggest By the Way with Jeff Garlin -- I am just now hearing about it myself, but I stumbled across a mention of it on Flavorwire and was reminded of your question. It seems like a pretty good non-generic conversation podcast.
posted by El Sabor Asiatico at 3:33 PM on May 2, 2013

If you like Julie Klausner you might like Ronna and Beverly. They are two thirtysomething comedians who fully inhabit the personae of middle aged Jewish women from Massachusetts, and interview one or two people, mostly comedy people, per episode. They are hilarious.
posted by apricot at 4:30 PM on May 2, 2013

Hang Out With Me (Myq Kaplan)

The Dead Authors Podcast is a good parody of these shows.
posted by painquale at 4:37 PM on May 2, 2013

It's way more than 20 minutes, but Kevin Pollak's Chat Show is my go-to podcast for in-depth, interesting interviews.
posted by Dr. Zira at 4:47 PM on May 2, 2013 [2 favorites]

I'd recommend Late Night Live. Phillip Adams is the best interviewer I think I've ever heard. He has a more or less equal focus on arts/culture and politics. His show is 53 minutes, four times a week, usually consisting of one to three segments.
posted by CutaneousRabbit at 5:38 PM on May 2, 2013 [1 favorite]

The Space Show has 2,000 episodes available for download. It's about 2 hours long, with most of the time devoted to the interview. He delves into many things besides rocket science, as he has guests talking about space related laws and treaties, economics, art, astronomy, biology, etc. For example he had Elon Musk a decade ago when he was first starting SpaceX.
posted by Sophont at 7:14 PM on May 2, 2013

Thanks, dudes! (except you who didn't notice that I'm not a fan of Mark Maron! Yikes.)
I was looking through the suggestions and found a Nerdist podcast with Rob Zombie being interviewed and I laughed lots. Excellent. Looking forward to making my way through the others.
posted by oceanview at 10:22 PM on May 2, 2013

I will say that a lot of the interview podcasts I listen to are pick-and-choose. Nerdist occasionally busts out a really brilliant one - like the Rob Zombie episode, which was great - in part because Chris gets guests he either knows or has an interesting angle with. You very rarely hear an interview with RZ like that because he rarely gets interviewed by old friends like that. The Mel Brooks and Joan Rivers episodes are also great, in part because both of them turned it around and started grilling Chris about this whole social media/podcasting/independent production thing. Joel McHale is also a really good recentish episode, and Chris interviewed his father last year and that was pretty great as well.

Kevin Pollack's Chat Show is also a great pick-and-choose, though I think he charges for old episodes. I think Hulu carries a lot of the video versions, if you're looking for something to watch out of the corner of your eye.
posted by Lyn Never at 10:55 PM on May 2, 2013

It's not strictly an interview show, but I'm a big fan of Sound Opinions for music discussions. Some of their guests might appeal to your 80s-00s alt-rock tastes.
posted by banwa at 8:41 AM on May 3, 2013 [1 favorite]

It's not quite an interview show, but Roderick on the Line has basically been 60+ hours of Merlin Mann interviewing John Roderick about scarcely believable stories of his life.
posted by painquale at 11:26 AM on May 3, 2013

For musician interviews (songwriting-related, but still with plenty of general interest) , I've been enjoying Sodajerker on Songwriting.
posted by anthom at 9:31 AM on May 8, 2013

« Older I'm looking for very, very uns...   |  Where do I store the scoop? Th... Newer »