Most interesting/unique studio performances of "Amazing Grace?"

I'm getting married in May. We want to play "Amazing Grace" during the ceremony. I'm hoping to find an interesting, unique, and overall awesome version to play. The funkier, the better, but traditional and beautiful versions are welcome as well. Basically, if you have a favorite performance, by a particular person or group, I'd like to know about it.
posted by JPowers to Media & Arts (18 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

According to Wikipedia, you have quite a few to choose from.
posted by blob at 6:34 PM on March 23, 2013

I've always liked Ani di Franco's take. Funky. Unique? Definitely awesome.

It's a bit long, though.
posted by Sara C. at 6:36 PM on March 23, 2013 [4 favorites]

But I recommend the Laura Love version from Octoroon, for sure.
posted by vitabellosi at 6:46 PM on March 23, 2013 [4 favorites]

Lisa Tingle's version on The Gospel According to Austin, TX.
posted by pantarei70 at 6:55 PM on March 23, 2013

Judy Collins, Sufjan Stevens, or Ladysmith Black Mambazo perhaps?
posted by blob at 6:58 PM on March 23, 2013

The Blind Boys of Alabama version is one I really like.

Or for a very traditional version, you might want to find a Sacred Harp recording. It's a very powerful sound. The name of the tune in the Sacred Harp songbook is "New Britain". Here is an example from Youtube; here's a historical recording.
posted by capricorn at 6:59 PM on March 23, 2013 [2 favorites]

Two very different versions:
Cat Power and the Dirty Delta Blues
Dropkick Murphies
posted by drlith at 7:08 PM on March 23, 2013 [4 favorites]

Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays have a version called Estupenda Graca. It's gorgeous. Here is the link to the sample page on Amazon.Estupenda Graca
posted by rockhopper at 7:15 PM on March 23, 2013

Musical Saw
posted by Sophont at 7:20 PM on March 23, 2013

I also thought I'd share this Ralph Stanley version, which manage to be simultaneously very traditional and unmistakably the one-of-a-kind Ralph Stanley.
posted by drlith at 7:38 PM on March 23, 2013

Came in to recommend Laura Love's version, but vitabellosi beat me to it. Starts off with a traditional sound, but finishes with a bluesy-zydeco spin.
posted by spinturtle at 8:01 PM on March 23, 2013 [1 favorite]

Don't have a recording to link to but I always liked the amazing grace lyrics sung to the tune and music of "peaceful easy feeling". It works and is really neat....
posted by pearlybob at 8:04 PM on March 23, 2013

I like this version by Tim Eriksen (stick around to the end for throat singing).
posted by hades at 10:20 PM on March 23, 2013

I've always loved Rod Stewart's version. Can't get a youtube to work right now but seek it out. Don't worry, it's from '71 so he's not the cheeseball he became later in life.
posted by saul wright at 10:55 PM on March 23, 2013 [1 favorite]

Could you hire a good local singer to perform it live?
posted by humph at 2:42 AM on March 24, 2013

Angie Hart sings a beautiful version in the Firefly episode Heart of Gold. I haven't been able to find it on youtube, and it's not on the OST album. If you can find the episode you can probably hear it near the end (it's sung at a funeral).
posted by Iteki at 3:47 AM on March 24, 2013

Destiny's Child do an acapella version which is quite unique.
posted by Youremyworld at 4:57 PM on March 24, 2013

« Older Can my car tell me "if" and "when" and "how long"...   |   What's that quote about summers as a kid? Newer »