I am not at all into the steampunk scene. But for the fun of it, I'm going to
in a couple of months. A friend of mine has been to it regularly, and has persuaded me to join her for the evening. So I need to figure out a costume. I'd like to keep total spend under $100-$150, if at all possible.
Here are the important things about me:
1. I'm a girl. Terrific rack, but kind of a rectangle overall. So I usually go for stuff that defines my waist, and definitely prefer open-necked, v-necked tops. In other words, a giant NO to turtle necks or crew necks.
2. Dress size is between 18 and a 22, depending on manufacturer.
3. I'm ok with heels, better if they're boots.
4. I'm fairly comfortable with my body, so moderately saucy is fine, but skanky / trashy / trying too hard is not.
5. Fairly pale complexion, dark hair, medium length, blue-green eyes.
6. I live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. Going down to Philadelphia is fine; I may be going to NY in a month, so that might be doable for resources as well.
There are some lovely things and a specific section over at Hips And Curves
, but I feel like everything is mostly for behind-closed-doors adventures or gorgeous but expensive steel-boned corsets. I get the general feel of steampunk, but the thought of doing it up, and doing it well so I don't look like a complete n00b, is a bit overwhelming, especially since I need larger sizes. Style me, Metafilter!