Mysterious foot pain - what could it be?
March 15, 2013 5:51 PM Subscribe
I have been having a lot of foot pain that has been building for months. They only hurt when I am sitting still. My googling has proved fruitless, do you have any ideas what it could be?
posted by sock puppetron on wheels to Health & Fitness (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
So this foot pain feels sort of like my feet have been left out in the cold for a long time, or like they are on fire or something, just radiating pain constantly for hours. It's about a 2 or 3 on a 1-10 pain scale. Not screamingly severe, but not able to be put out of my mind. At first, months ago, I thought I just had cold feet, and they only really bugged me in the evenings. I got some slippers and they seemed to help at first (or maybe I just convinced myself it was better), but the pain has grown steadily worse over time. Now it is really bad and worrying me.
- both feet hurt equally
- the pain is in the big meaty body of the foot, not the toes nor the heel
- the feet are not actually cold
- it has nothing to do with the skin or toenails - all are intact and no bunions or bumps or anything
- it does NOT hurt when I am walking or standing, only when I am sitting down and not putting weight on them. I use footrests and change the position of my feet regularly, and it does not make the pain any better.
- the pain doesn't really respond to ibuprofen, which is my go-to pain medication choice.
- it is keeping me up at night. I have some ambien that my doctor gave me a couple months ago, but I fear I have grown dependent on it. I try to go to bed early, then lie there for 60-90 minutes, then I finally give up and take an ambien. I need to find some way out of this.
- I am bipolar and on a lot of meds for that, but that regimen has not changed in the past 8-9 years.
- I have a low thyroid and I'm on medication for it. I saw my endocrinologist and told her my feet felt "cold" a lot, and she thought it was strange that I didn't feel cold all over. It was not as severe when I saw her so I didn't make a big deal out of it.
I have a doctor's appointment on Monday with my family practice doctor (PCP), but I thought the hive mind could help me figure out some things to ask him about, or an idea of the proper sort of specialist I should ask for a referral to. Also I just am frustrated and curious what the hell might be wrong with my feet.
Any ideas? I'd be grateful for any clues you could throw my way.