I think we're beIng followed!

Here's one I've had no luck finding: A) in the movies, is there a name for those films they used to project behind actors in a movie car to make it look like they were actually on the road? You know the ones: the slightly out of focus view out the rear window. Maybe a chase scene with the bad guy car in pursuit... Or just plain ol' traffic... B) are any of these background films archived online? Tried Prelinger archives but no luck.
posted by ecorrocio to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Back projection.
posted by tel3path at 4:55 PM on March 14, 2013

Rear projection! First used by Fox back in 1930. :)
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 4:58 PM on March 14, 2013

Yes, rear projection films. Of course. Thinking perhaps there was a catchier trade/industry name?
posted by ecorrocio at 5:11 PM on March 14, 2013

And, I'd really love to source some actual old footage, that some kind soul has made digital, to make some groovy films! But alas, found nothing so far.
posted by ecorrocio at 5:39 PM on March 14, 2013

My guess, based on doing similar things (specifically, ordering backdrops for the view "out the window" of a set on a soundstage), is that there is a vendor who owns a library of this stuff available to rent out to different projects. Possibly as part of a larger equipment package used to achieve the effect. The major studios may have their own in-house sources, as well.

I'd be curious to know if this is done any longer, or if most filmmakers have gone to some form of green-screen.

A lot of films now use real locations, too, of course. I know a team of guys who have a pursuit camera car for filming this sort of shot in real time on real city streets. Modern camera technology makes it much easier to just go out and shoot it for real.
posted by Sara C. at 5:42 PM on March 14, 2013

These can also be called process shots, and Hansard shots. Hansard Projection is a company that's been doing this since it was invented, basically.
posted by BlahLaLa at 5:48 PM on March 14, 2013 [1 favorite]

Internet Archive has some of these.
posted by Knappster at 6:13 PM on March 14, 2013 [10 favorites]

Thanks all! Knappster... you win the prize!

Next step... project film from my old DLP projector behind fake car with my dog driving.... hilarity ensues.
posted by ecorrocio at 8:14 AM on March 15, 2013

« Older How to well fast/not get worse...   |  I just bought a farm table tha... Newer »