A Children's Book About Adoption

I'm looking for a book meant for small children, probably around age 6, about adoption. The cover pictures a white couple with two adopted (non-caucasian, I think, probably of different races) children. It would have been available at least in 1987-1990 (kind of fuzzy on the year) in New Jersey or thereabouts, USA. It was an English language book.

If you need anymore information, please let me know!
posted by two lights above the sea to Grab Bag (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

...Was there an illustration in the middle that explained that sometimes some kids got adopted from other countries where there was war or famine or something like that going on, and the picture was a drawing of a sad-looking kid, vaguely-Asian-looking, sitting on a pile of dirt with a pot on its head?

If it was, it might be Why Was I Adopted? That's the book that my grade-school best friend's family had for her (adopted) brother.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 8:50 AM on March 14, 2013

this one has only one child?
posted by bq at 8:51 AM on March 14, 2013

This is for a friend, so I'm not relying on my own memory here. I think he would remember if it were a Mr. Rodgers book, but who knows. He's pretty sure there were two kids on the cover, though.
posted by two lights above the sea at 9:00 AM on March 14, 2013

"Why Was I Adopted" does have 2 kids on the cover. They're not different races, though.

This would definitely have been available in the 1980's and 1990's; I saw it at my friend's house in the 1970's, and is one of a line of 3 books about "where did I come from" that I've seen get reprinted and republished over and over.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 9:02 AM on March 14, 2013

You sure it isn't the Mr. Rogers book?

I don't think Why Was I Adopted has
interracial adoption depicted.

Mr Rogers is the only book showing interracial adoption that I can think of from that era. It's a great one, btw.
posted by mamabear at 9:45 AM on March 14, 2013

The Mr. Rogers book seems like a good bet, but it looks like it was published in 1994, which is way outside the timeline here.

FWIW, I'm looking for a specific book, not just any good book on adoption.
posted by two lights above the sea at 12:27 PM on March 14, 2013

I'm looking for a specific book, not just any good book on adoption.

No, I understand - I sincerely think that my suggestion may be it, though; it's got the two kids on the cover, it would have been available at that time, and it's aimed at a grade-school level. I have a hunch the "interracial family" on the cover may be a red herring, or that there may be a picture inside like that or something.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 1:15 PM on March 14, 2013

« Older I've been taking ADD meds for ...   |  I'm the Fun Czar for a group o... Newer »