If nothing else it feels good...
March 14, 2013 5:28 AM Subscribe
There is a steam room at my gym and I am considering putting it to use. Please tell me as much as you can because I have no fregging clue what I am supposed to be using it for or what I am supposed to do while I steam.
posted by PuppetMcSockerson to health & fitness (27 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I work out every morning before work (5 days a week), doing cardio and strength training. This morning after my work out I went and sat in it for a bit for the very first time. It felt really nice and relaxing, especially after my big workout and since I'm coming off a pretty bad case of DOMS in my quads (damn you, squats!). The steam seemed to loosen things up and my legs are feeling pretty good, though that could just be from my workout. I am considering using the steam room more regularly. I don't know a whole lot about them, though.
1. What are their benefits?
2. What should I be careful/wary of?
3. How long should I spend in there?
4. How often should I do it? Is steaming after my workouts (5 days a week) okay?
5. Do you just sit and chill? Meditate? Count the tiles on the floor? What do people usually do while they steam? (Am I overthinking this?)
5. What are your personal experiences with them?
In case it matters, my gym recently built a brand new facility so everything is new. Even when we were still in the old building they were always very diligent in keeping everything is extremely clean, well maintained and they were/are really good about keeping things in excellent repair.