Who is the author of these mp3s, and when were they made?

I'm trying to find some information on the creator of these chippy mashups, and when they were first released.

I've had these mp3s for a while now, but they've been copied around so much that the file creation date is not the date they were made. They're made by a fellow who went by the name of Mark VII, and I'd like to know more about this person. Only links I've found point to a guy on SoundCloud going by the name of Mark Von V or markvang, but I don't think it's the same fellow.

ID3 tags link to a site that's "on hiatus," and reveal only the names of the original C64 tune and the vocalist.

Links are here:
1. Mark VII - Spherical Rhymes
2. Mark VII - Comic Enemy.

FWIW: it looks like the site that's listed in the ID3 tag had their stuff licensed under CC.
posted by herrdoktor to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

(Don't mean to threadsit, but I wanted to mention that yes, I have seen this link way back in 2004, and found no add'l info then.)
posted by herrdoktor at 4:14 PM on March 13, 2013

There are several more of these, I used to have them all but I don't know. They were mostly very great. I'm sorry I don't know more about the source of them but even when I first found them there was nothing available about their maker.
posted by RustyBrooks at 6:33 PM on March 13, 2013

I first saw them, I think, in the early 2000s, something like 2002-2003 if I had to guess. The other ones I can think of are based on the songs:

Sorry Ms Jackson (Outkast) (called Commando Jackson)

Brown vs Gray

Duke of Noise
posted by RustyBrooks at 6:41 PM on March 13, 2013

God Duke of Noise is great. Thanks for reminding me of these.
posted by RustyBrooks at 6:42 PM on March 13, 2013

Argh, I see now you already knew about all of these.
posted by RustyBrooks at 6:48 PM on March 13, 2013

The file info lists this website:

http://www.monotonik.com/

Did you try that rabbit hole?
posted by humboldt32 at 9:48 AM on March 14, 2013

Yep. That's the site in ID3 I was referring to.
posted by herrdoktor at 3:13 PM on March 14, 2013

Well, I'd really hoped someone would turn up something. Sorry dude.
posted by RustyBrooks at 7:29 AM on March 18, 2013

« Older What do women wear under worko...   |  How would you write "Soli... Newer »