Where to stay in St. Petersburg, FL area with 5 year old daughter?
March 10, 2013 8:57 PM Subscribe
Help my family decide the best place to stay for the most awesome beach vacation ever in the St. Petersburg, FL area. Overwhelmed with choices + unfamiliar with area = help! Many snowflake details inside....
posted by griffey to travel & transportation around St. Petersburg, FL (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
We are in the midst of the annual Plan The Vacation efforts, and my 5 year old daughter is getting her wish of visiting Harry Potter World in Orlando. But mom and dad want some beach time before we hit the park, and we've (basically) settled on the St. Petersburg area for said visit. We vastly prefer the Gulf side of FL (our "normal" beach trip is on the gulf panhandle around Ft Walton) but are overwhelmed with the choices for St. Pete. Can some kind Mefite help direct us to the best 3 days (middle of May) on the beach ever for my daughter? Hotel choice is the big worry right now...
1. On the beach, not near the beach. None of us want to have to drive to and from while wet and sandy.
2. Not shoulder-to-shoulder crowded...we don't need to be alone, but we also don't want to be tripping over 8 rows of chairs to get to the water.
3. Nice pool...there's only so long a 5 year old can handle the beach, even, and having a nice pool as an option is a positive.
4. Decent restaurants/food choices in the hotel or very close. We will have a car, so this isn't a dealbreaker, but the less we have to run around, the better.
5. Decent rooms in the hotel itself. Don't need marble bathrooms, just clean and neat and well kept up.
We aren't terrifically price sensitive, but it's hard to tell, for instance if staying somewhere like the Don CeSar is worth it, or if we'd be better off at mom-and-pop beach inn down at Passa Grille Beach or something.
Thanks for any help. Feeling overwhelmed with choices and the normal review sites (yelp, expedia, etc) aren't helping clear it up.