Men's undershirts that breathe?

Can you recommend men's undershirts (preferably v-neck, possibly tank) as an alternative to cotton tees?

I am realizing that my standard men's undershirts – 100% cotton white American Apparel crew tees and APC tanks – sometimes get sweaty/clammy and are somewhat heavy to pack for traveling.

I like the looks of this and this from Patagonia but would prefer to avoid crew necks so the undershirt isn't visible under dress shirts, oxfords, etc.

I generally like natural fibers and see that wool, silk, and cashmere might be options, depending on season. I do use these synthetic (100% polyester) briefs and think they're great, so a similar material could work.

So, what breathable, lightweight undershirts are best?
posted by suprenant to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

They're cotton, but I wear Cin2 Core undershirts which are very thin and lightweight, and I haven't had any of those problems. Nice deep v-neck that doesn't show under dress shirts, too.
posted by primethyme at 4:19 PM on March 6, 2013

Smartwool makes microweight V-necks. Great for moisture management and warmth, and the microweight is super light and soft feeling.

Silk will be lighter and more packable but not as comfortable or warm.
posted by a halcyon day at 4:22 PM on March 6, 2013

I've been using Uniqlo ones for years and they work great. This looks like what I have.
posted by any portmanteau in a storm at 4:40 PM on March 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

I wear RibbedTee every day, and love them. The ribs are designed to wick away moisture, and they do a decent job. You might want to go a size down - they tend to stretch a bit over their wear.
posted by Apropos of Something at 8:18 PM on March 6, 2013

The classic wife beaters by Brynje do exactly what you want. They have this wide mesh fabric. Not sure if you want to go for a badass look, once you start opening them shirt buttons. Google some more for better pics.
posted by ouke at 3:24 AM on March 7, 2013

The v-neck shirts from La Perla (they have a mens' line; Grigioperla) are amazing and breathable and they just disappear. Hanro also makes fantastic underwear and undershirts. (WARNING: EXPENSIVE.)
posted by RJ Reynolds at 6:29 AM on March 7, 2013

For me, what works is having an entire drawer dedicated to undershirts. If one rips or yellows, no big deal, I just cut it up with scissors and use it for shoe polishing. I try and buy 12 new undershirts a year - I go with Hanes V-neck Tagless. If I get sweaty on the middle of the day, I accept that and switch undershirts. Sweat happens.
posted by oceanjesse at 7:56 AM on March 7, 2013 [1 favorite]

Ex Officio Give-N-Go V-Neck Short Sleeve Tee. Thin, lightweight, resists odor, dries fast, durable.

Some misc thoughts; The only shirt I use under dress shirts.
posted by fief at 10:33 AM on March 7, 2013

« Older What should I know before I ca...   |  Is this box highlighting kit j... Newer »