Traveling with me, myself, and I
February 28, 2013 10:01 PM Subscribe
What should I know or consider before vacationing alone?
posted by cecic to travel & transportation (32 answers total) 65 users marked this as a favorite
i've never taken a vacation by myself, but as a perpetually single gal with busy married friends and little family, I think I'm ready to stop waiting for other's calendars to clear to see the world and just go see it by myself. What should I know about traveling solo? What are the pitfalls? If you've done it, how did you keep it from being a lonely experience?
Some things about me that may influence your answer:
- I'm in my early 40s, female, in the US
- I'm alone a lot, so I'm not a stranger to solitude
- I'm somewhat introverted
- I'm shy about striking up conversations with strangers, but do fine if they engage me first
- I only speak English and am a little trepidatious about being alone in a non-English speaking country
- I'm not opposed to small group tours, but unstructured is okay too