Sign Painting Class/Resources in Portland, OR?
February 23, 2013 10:24 AM   Subscribe

Since learning to sign paint is one of my biggest dreams, what's the best way to get some on-the-ground instruction here in the Pacific Northwest? I have a great library of resource books for traditional sign design and showcard layout, but I really want to take a basic hands-on class/tutorial that will teach me the nitty gritty of equipment and process.

I love handlettering in general, but I know from my calligraphy classes that knowing your tools and being around a professional is one of the most valuable resources for learning stuff like this. If I can't find anything here, I'll probably just shell out the $300 for New Bohemia's upcoming spring classes in San Francisco, but I'm finding it hard to believe that Portland doesn't have something like this.
posted by redsparkler to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Ha! The lack of answers here only reassures me that signing up for one of the classes at New Bohemia was exactly the right move.
posted by redsparkler at 7:11 PM on February 28, 2013

I'm a signwriter. I learned my skills twenty years ago by working for a more experienced signwriter. Traditionally, in my part of the world, that's how people learn this stuff. Doesn't answer your question, but you might find it interesting.

Good luck!
posted by Too-Ticky at 3:00 AM on March 11, 2013

Based on a previous AskMe, this past summer we went to the American Sign Museum. They have a fantastic collection of vintage sign painters' kits, tools, paint and books. Here are some of my photos - you might want to see if any of the books or manuals are still around?

If it's interesting to you, here are a few articles on a beloved local sign painter. There are a few references in them, on materials used and how they learned.

I like sign painting - we had a unit on it in my high school art class (1985/6) and it was one of my favourites.
posted by peagood at 5:13 AM on March 11, 2013

The latest episode of 99% Invisible is about hand-painted signs.
posted by Lexica at 7:49 AM on March 11, 2013

Thanks for the additional info, folks! I'll be digging into these resources as I eagerly await my upcoming class.
posted by redsparkler at 12:31 PM on March 26, 2013

« Older I'm asking this for a senior c...   |  We're thinking of travelling t... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.