Help me diagnose my automatic garage door opener weirdness
February 22, 2013 9:47 AM Subscribe
I have a two-car garage with a LiftMaster automatic garage door opener that is misbehaving and it's driving me crazy. It seems to be randomly just opening the door long after it is closed and I can't figure out why. I've seen the other questions about garage door openers but was hoping for some advice specific to my situation.
posted by misskaz to home & garden (15 answers total)
Relevant or not relevant details:
1. The garage is a detached, unheated, two-car garage (in Chicago, so it's on an alley, not the street.)
2. My roommate and I each have remotes that we keep in our cars, although previously my roommate was keeping his in his backpack. He thought maybe he was accidentally bumping the button so he started keeping the remote in his car but it's still happening.
3. It's not that something is triggering the safety sensor as the door is closing - we are both making sure the door is COMPLETELY closed before driving away or going inside.
4. My roommate even checks the door again before going to bed and sometimes it has opened back up and sometimes it hasn't. Sometimes it is open in the morning, sometimes not.
5. It's one of the self-learning ones so there are no dipswitches to change if someone else's opener is interfering with ours.
Theories we've considered and/or correlating factors:
1. When I bought the house, our house inspector said the safety sensor wasn't working so we should get it fixed, which we never did. Is it possible it can malfunction in such a way that it opens the door long after it is fully closed?
2. My roommate seems to think it has something to do with the neighbor with a garage across the alley -- who does not have an automatic opener but does spend all hours of the day/night working in his garage blasting really loud music.
3. There seemed to be a pattern of my car always being home when it happened, but I don't drive very often so it's almost always home, and then it happened once when I was away.
4. This only recently started happening in the last few months. Coincidentally, I just got a roommate a few months ago - previously it was just my car.
5. Also coincidentally, the last few months mark winter and cold weather.
6. My next door neighbor drives a tow truck and therefore uses some kind of dispatch radio/CB/walkie-talkie thing.
Have you ever had this happen? Any ideas for what we could try to diagnose and/or fix it? I'd love to try some troubleshooting before calling someone out to fix or replace it.