This weekend in Ess Eff

I'm going to be in The City aka Ess Eff aka San Francisco this weekend. Are there any must-see events, exhibits, performances, etc. going on? Where would I look to find this information in the future? Are the Bay Guardian and SF Weekly even still published?
posted by entropicamericana to Travel & Transportation around San Francisco, CA (6 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Yes, they are.

This Reddit compilation of things to do in SF is also worth a look.
posted by I EAT TAPAS at 1:12 PM on February 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

Squidlist.

NB: It's Bay Area-wide, not just SF-specific. Still.
posted by rtha at 1:52 PM on February 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

I also use FunCheapSF quite a bit (it is also Bay Area-wide).
posted by primalux at 2:02 PM on February 21, 2013

Well, If I had a day in SF here's what I'd do:

I have breakfast at Sears Fine Food on Powell Street, up the street from the St. Francis on Union Square.

Thus fortified, I'd head over to the de Young Museum, they've got Dutch paintings there and some neat stuff from the Vatican.

Then I'd head over to Chinatown and stuff my face with cheap Chinese food at Woey Loy Gooey. It's at Jackson and Grant, look down, it's in the basement.

I'd rest up a bit, or perhaps hit the shops on Union Square or on Polk Street.

Then I'd check out what's up at the theatre. I'm intrigued by The Motherf**er with the Hat. That could be fun. Reasons to be Pretty looks good too.

Then a late supper, Burger Bar in Macy's at Union Square is a good place, just be aware, if you order your burger rare, it's raw! I've seen Hubert Keller in person!

Another option, if you're going to be in the Castro would be Poesia.

Then I'd be on the prowl for a nice drag show. Trannyshack could be fun.

Or, just have a cocktail in the weirdness I've enjoyed my whole adulthood at The Midnight Sun. Has the added attraction of being directly across the street from Poesia.

Then, after a fun evening, I'd toddle back to my room for a good night's sleep.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 2:04 PM on February 21, 2013

I always check out The List by Steve Koepke for concerts.
posted by opposite_sketches at 2:09 PM on February 21, 2013

Definitely Fun Cheap SF is a great website, and I found out through them that the Chinese New Year parade is this weekend which looks fun.
posted by radioamy at 2:15 PM on February 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older This morning Mr. Smuna dropped...   |  Best Saturday Brunch in Buffal... Newer »