Help me organize my digital photos!
February 19, 2013 5:23 PM Subscribe
Pretty much all of my photos exist on my laptop, a networked hard drive and Flickr. I am looking for a good way to keep the three locations synced with each other.
posted by any portmanteau in a storm to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
This is my current setup:
- My camera saves the photo to a raw file as well as a low-quality jpeg file.
- Lightroom imports the photo into its system and copies both the raw file and jpeg onto a folder on the local computer eg 2013-02-18.
- Every once in a while I will copy the new folders onto a hard drive on my network which is my local backup (the hard drive enclosure runs linux so the thing is a mini server, but it is not exposed to the outside world).
- Every once in a while I will upload all the photos taken to my Flickr account with a default setting of them being visible only to me.
- Once they are on Flickr I will do things such as mark some of them public (ie viewable to people other than myself), organize them into albums and add things like tags or geo-coordinates. I am rarely at my home computer so I would not be able to enter these things into Lightroom directly.
To me, the downsides of this setup are:
- Flickr doesn't take my raw file, it only takes a jpg of the image, meaning I can't use it as an online backup of my photos.
- Any metadata I add to the photos on Flickr doesn't synchronize with either my local collection in Lightroom or with the actual raw files on either the local computer or the local backup.
- It is not very automated in general. Once the photos are in Lightroom they don't automatically end up on either Flickr or my local backup.
This is what I would like to happen:
- I connect my memory card to a computer and all new photos get stored somewhere on the local computer.
- The local photos also get backed up to the network hard drive.
- Either my computer or the hard drive automatically uploads the raw files somewhere online (either alone or with the jpg file) but it should not be publicly viewable/accessible.
- The online service will allow me to display the photos as well as edit their metadata either individually or in a group.
- Any metadata entered online will sync with either the local computer or network hard drive.
How do I make what I would like to happen actually happen?
Zenphoto seems to be the closest thing to what I want, however there doesn't seem to be any hosted option so I'd have to get my own hosting and run it off that which I am not interested in doing. Also, I do not know if it supports raw files.
I am not wedded to either Flickr or Lightroom. My laptop runs Windows 7. As mentioned above the hard drive runs linux, specifically an old version of Debian (Sarge I think).