green geek gift
February 4, 2013 10:31 AM Subscribe
As a gift, I am looking for an "off-the-grid" charger thingy. I have read a bunch of posts and reviews on these things, but I'm a little in the weeds. Plus, it seems like this stuff is developing and changing rather quickly. Hoping you can help! Specifications after the jump.
posted by anonymous to Technology (9 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
- Something that involves an activity that can be done while working at a computer, like bike pedals under the desk, would be ideal. Or something that charges up when you're doing something you'd normally do, like walk around. Or something solar. Or something that you crank. Probably in that order?
- Should be able to power something useful, if even just a little bit or over a long period of charging. Cell phone, for example. We don't own ANY Apple products, FYI.
- Should more or less "work" and not just be a novelty
- Can involve some geekish assembly, but not too time consuming
- Would be great if it came from a cool, small-to-medium sized company
- I am not against hiring some local maker person to, um, make it for me
- Price range is $50 - $200, preferably on the middle-to-low end of that range
(anon because it is a gift)