Help! I can't stay asleep.
February 3, 2013 6:40 AM Subscribe
Here's what a typical night looks like for me:
1. Go to bed between 10pm and midnight. Fall asleep easily.
2. 3-4 hours later, wake up for no apparent reason. Turn over and (usually) fall asleep again.
3. An hour or two later, wake up again. If lucky, fall asleep again; if unlucky, toss and turn for a while first.
4. Repeat step 3 several more times until morning.
5. Get out of bed at 9 or 10 feeling tired and unrefreshed.
The awakenings happen for no discernible reason. I don't have nightmares, need to pee, etc., I just find myself awake. On an average night I wake up 4-5 times.
posted by zeri to Health & Fitness (32 answers total) 23 users marked this as a favorite
This has been going on for years, though it hasn't always been this bad. Things I've tried: 5-HTP, melatonin, GABA, magnesium supplements, herbal teas, kava kava, alcohol, meditation/progressive relaxation. Some of these things make me fall asleep faster, but my problem isn't falling asleep, it's staying asleep.
I consulted a sleep specialist, who ruled out sleep apnea, said the problem was psychological (nervous tension), and offered to prescribe sleeping pills. But I don't want to take a pill every night just to get a reasonable night's sleep.
Things I'm considering: cognitive-behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy. But my budget is tight and I can't afford prolonged therapy. Has anyone tried these for insomnia and if so, how many sessions before you saw results?