Is there a 70's rock song with the same sentiment as Lisa Loeb's 'Stay'?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm not TOO familiar with many songs of that era and genre. I'm looking for a song that conveys a sentiment similar to Lisa Loeb's 'Stay' (link to lyrics here if it helps).

The song would ideally be by one of the following bands: The Doors, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or Talking Heads.

Its basic idea is captured in these few lines:

You said that I was naive,
And I thought that I was strong.
I thought, "hey, I can leave, I can leave."
Oh but now I know that I was wrong, 'cause I missed you.

You said, "I caught you 'cause I want you and one day I'll let you go."
You try to give away a keeper, or keep me 'cause you know you're just so scared to lose.
And you say, "Stay."

You say I only hear what I want to.
------------------------------

Thanks much, Mefites.
posted by Everydayville to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

The lyrics to "Stay" are kind of ambiguous in terms of whether or not the speaker cares what the person she's speaking to thinks anymore.

If you're inclined to thnk she does not, then the song you want is Who Needs You by Queen.

If you're more inclined to think that it's more about the contradictions in wanting someone but you know they treat you kind of crappy, then the song you want is Sweet Lady by Queen.
posted by FAMOUS MONSTER at 6:33 PM on January 30, 2013 [1 favorite]

Would Bob Dylan be okay? Between Positively 4th Street, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, Idiot Wind, You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go and a bunch of others he captures pretty much every gradation of breakups.
posted by Charlemagne In Sweatpants at 6:40 PM on January 30, 2013

I thought of Bob Dylan as well, and not because of the lyrics but the feeling and the key - 'Lay Lady Lay'.
posted by goo at 7:14 PM on January 30, 2013

I guess a 70s classic of a similar sentiment would be 10cc's I'm Not in Love.
posted by Bron at 8:00 PM on January 30, 2013 [3 favorites]

This is slightly different, but definitely about going and staying:Empty Chairs, Don McLean Released in 1971.

Hmm...maybe Joni Mitchell fits the bill: This Flight Tonight? Or maybe Case of You?

I mean, not to be too gender-role-y or anything, but you might have a hard time finding the sentiment expressed by Loeb in The Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc. because those bands are all fronted by men and IMHO, Loeb's song is very much from the feminine perspective. You know, "turn the radio on, I turn the radio up and this woman was singing my song" and all that. You might have more luck broadening your search to include bands fronted by a woman.
posted by RingerChopChop at 8:44 PM on January 30, 2013 [3 favorites]

The Doors, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or Talking Heads.

I know all those bands, really pretty well, and I don't think there's a single thing by them that is going to capture the sentiments you're after. These are bands of bombast and simple dramatic gesture, not nuance.

To get helpful answers, it would be useful for you to talk about why it needs to be those bands so that you can get the closest recommendations (though they won't be very close at all) or to broaden the bands you are willing to consider. Because their repertoires simply do not contain this sort of emotional plea baldly acknowledging inner conflict.
posted by Miko at 9:26 PM on January 30, 2013 [2 favorites]

Hmmm, Talking Heads This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) comes to mind. Not quite the same, but could be the closest they would have produced.
posted by GhostintheMachine at 6:03 AM on January 31, 2013 [1 favorite]

The first song that comes to mind is "Please Don't Go" by K.C. & the Sunshine Band, but that's a lot more poppy than the bands you mentioned.
posted by El Sabor Asiatico at 9:37 AM on January 31, 2013

Thank you all for your input.

To speak to Miko's and RingerChopChop's points, I had a feeling this would be a long shot. The context this song was to be used in was in a montage of pictures, and the person to whom the montage was to be sent counts these bands among his favorites.

I suppose it might work if someone that was also a fan of these bands were to recommend something they'd like to listen to.

Thanks again for your help!
posted by Everydayville at 8:36 PM on January 31, 2013

Which bands? A fan of The Doors, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin is different than a fan of Talking Heads. If they're a fan of Talking Heads you'd be open to more avant-garde or modern music, whereas a fan of the former bands would focus more on 'classic rock'.

If you want something melancholy or heart-wrenching, Pink Floyd have plenty of songs that could work for montages. How about Don't Leave Me Now?
posted by Charlemagne In Sweatpants at 8:41 PM on January 31, 2013 [1 favorite]

Btw... RingerChopChop - the Joni Mitchell suggestions were pretty good - thank you!
posted by Everydayville at 8:43 PM on January 31, 2013

Randomly thought of this song this morning. It kind of fits. Todd Rundgren - I Saw the Light
posted by cali59 at 6:34 AM on February 1, 2013

« Older Do house centipedes bite? Beca...   |  I am of one race/ethnicity; my... Newer »