Career Coaching recommendations please! (especially in LA)

I'm looking for a professional careers coach in LA to give me advice about changing careers (especially ones who are good at talking with MBA grads who don't necessarily want a typical MBA-type job). The variety of coaches available out there is a bit confusing and some of them are expensive - can anyone personally recommend one? And what criteria should I be judging them on anyway?

Dear MetaFilter Citizens: can you personally recommend a career coach, and explain from your experiences what makes them a good and well-priced one? This is particularly for the Los Angeles area ( or perhaps beyond - it's not ideal, but maybe this kind of thing can work over skype too?),

Or if you don't have any personal recommendations, tips on how to choose/use career change coaching would be great too.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and advice!!
posted by zresearch to Work & Money (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I'm MeMailing you the email of a NY-based career coach friend whom I know will know good people in LA. Drop him a line and he should have some ideas for you.

Best of luck!
posted by Sidhedevil at 9:43 AM on January 30, 2013 [1 favorite]

Don't have personal recommendations but I know a bit about coaching.

Main thing I would evaluate a coach on is the ability to speak with happy previous clients, and also the coach's focus area. You should be able to find a coach who specializes helping people with a similar profile to you. "MBAs who are seeking non-traditional careers." Ask if they have helped someone like you before.

Accreditation is nice, but not something to get too hung up on. Same with location. Most coaching can be done effectively over the phone, possibly in conjunction with email. A successful track record of helping people with your profile should trump either of the former considerations.

Price is tricky. A coach should offer a free consultation session to make sure your goals are aligned with their competencies--should be at least a 30 minute discussion. Pay attention closely during that to make sure they "get" you and your needs. If anything, I would be concerned about a fee that is too low (<$100 per hour) which indicates they may not be confident in their abilities. You have to think that whatever this initial investment is, it is going to pale compared to the costs (financial and emotional) of a life spent on a wrong or unfulfilling career track. Good luck!
posted by the foreground at 11:37 AM on January 30, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Which jurisdictions have datab...   |  When an interviewer asks an in... Newer »