Why won't Excel arrange its margins to what I want?

Excel 2007 will sometimes refuse to let me move its margins in print preview mode so that the document prints 1 page wide (despite letting me print that way previously on the document). How do I fix this?

I'm using Excel 2007 and I've noticed that sometimes, when I go into Print Preview mode to move the margins so that the document prints how I want it to print, Excel will default to either wanting to print the document so that it spans wide across multiple sheets of paper (despite not having that problem days earlier) or, when I move the margins so that the print out is only 1 page wide, the zoom level drops down to 10%. How do I fix that?

Here's how the document looks when I first open it.

Here's how the document looks after I drag the vertical dotted line to the right to try and make the document 1 page wide (as you can see, Excel automatically adjusts it so that suddenly I have even more pages than before).

Here's how the Page Setup looks when I click on Page Setup to viewing the Scaling after dragging the margins as described above.

When I specifically click "Fit to 1 page wide and 2 pages tall" on the scaling portion of the Page Setup, Excel shows me the exact same formatting as the second image I linked to (where I have 10 pages that it wants to print).

Here's how the Page Setup looks on the Margins tab.

On this exact document, when I first prepared it, I have been able to move the margins and print to 1 page wide, 2 pages tall without any issue.

How do I get Excel to do that again?

Thanks.
posted by lea724 to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Does it work if you fill in the boxes that say "Fit to:" and put that you want it to be 1 page wide and 2 pages tall?
posted by something something at 9:22 AM on January 29, 2013

No; it shows me the exact same formatting as the second image I linked to (where I have 10 pages that it wants to print).
posted by lea724 at 9:29 AM on January 29, 2013

I may have found the solution: Close all instances of Excel and re-open.

Once I did that, the margins went back to how I wanted them (1 page wide, 2 pages tall).

Lot of grief for (hopefully) nothing.
posted by lea724 at 9:39 AM on January 29, 2013

« Older I am looking for books or movi...   |  United Airlines says they have... Newer »