How do I open up my Sony TV projectors?

I have a Sony VPL-PX40 and a Sony VPL-PX41. How can I open them up to swap the lenses?

One projector has a nice zoom lens, and the other has a fixed lens. I want to put the better lens in the unit with the better LCD screen. But I cannot easily see how to get these projectors open. There must be a secret.

There must be the Sony Service Manual that comes with the projectors, or the new lenses. When I dig around in Google for such a tech manual, I come up empty. Except for "driverdownload"-style spam tech-manual sites which promise everything but deliver... .... nothing? I just get stuck in PDF-promising websites that then send me nowhere, or around in circles.

The projectors are designed to have interchangable lenses. I just cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to open them up and do the deed!
posted by shipbreaker to Technology (2 answers total)

I'm getting closer. What I'm looking for now is the "Installation Manual for Dealers".
posted by shipbreaker at 7:30 PM on January 28, 2013

Google led me to the installation instructions (short text, no pictures) for a Navitar lens. Search for:
px40 navitar filetype:pdf

According to this file, it's only a single screw to remove the cover. Don't drop anything. :)
posted by mirage pine at 12:46 AM on January 29, 2013

« Older What's the best way to hang or...   |  A few days ago I met someone w... Newer »