Good D&D/Pathfinder module for an all-dwarven party?

Can someone suggest a module or series of modules that is designed for, or could be adapted to, an all-dwarf party? (Other than An Unexpected Journey! But that sort of party, yes.) 3.5/Pathfinder preferred but can adapt.

So, due to a recent movie release, my play-by-post board is interested to play a dwarf-themed, all-dwarf-PCs game. We play 3.5/Pathfinder, and we've recently been enjoying the roleplaying and NPCs and non-combat challenges in some of the modules (like Jade Regent and Skull and Shackles) in Pathfinder.

As the GM, it falls on me to find a good module to turn our dwarven company loose on. I'd like to adapt it to be pretty dwarf-centric-- so for example, if we have to save a town, it'll be a dwarf fortress, instead of a generic human village.... so if the plot hinges on something very non-dwarven like ship travel or acid rain, it probably won't work. I'd like a mix of things to do, and any length is fine.

I don't usually use modules, preferring to run off-the-cuff, but Shackles and Jade Regent have set the storytelling bar pretty high and I want to do better, this time. So any other advice, or stories of similar games you've played or enjoyed, would be welcome!

(Possible bonus points for subtle Dwarf Fortress and Hobbit references)
posted by The otter lady to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Off the top of my head, the old G-series (Against the Giants) comes to mind -- giants and dwarves seem to have a natural enmity in many settings.
posted by ricochet biscuit at 3:49 PM on January 28, 2013 [2 favorites]

This is a good series of modules.

The PC's are basically tasked with taming a wild land to form their own kingdom (well it will eventually turn into a kingdom). You can easily have them declare it an dwarven kingdom.

In my game I play a gnome bard that doesn't appreciate "too talls" (especially not humans). So, our nation (currently a Duchy) has an unusually large non-human population. I've also set aside land (in a forest) for wild fey to inhabit as a kind of sanctuary. There's no reason your group couldn't do the same for hobbits.

The game does feature a nature god pretty consistently (I wouldn't say heavily), but that's also easy enough to tweak (if you decide that the Dwarves have a pantheon). The kingdom building also gives a good roleplaying/strategy mix to the typical game play.

In the third module they move into an adjoining kingdom with lots of mountainous land (perfect!).
posted by oddman at 5:10 PM on January 28, 2013 [1 favorite]

I dunno, I mean, the majority of 3.5 modules are going to work just fine for this -- they're not that strongly themed. Pathfinder is more likely to be like "everyone has to be a pirate" which might stomp over your "..and a dwarf" thing. If you're big into tactical stuff and Using All The Supplements you might dig Red Hand of Doom. If you want something that is in large part an underground crawl, maybe The Sunless Citadel.

That said, it seems to me like a major plus if the module has a big sailing section or some other section that moves the party out of their comfort zone. Like, in a normal game, it's no big deal, the dwarf hangs out in the hold complaining about being seasick and everyone else does all the work. But in an all-dwarf campaign, being at sea is suddenly a major obstacle. The party has to improvise! Will they work a series of round-the-clock shifts so nobody has to be on deck more than an hour? Will they hire an NPC crew to run the ship? Will they board and storm another ship and force them to do the work? Will they find a way to go by land (perhaps underground) and avoid the sea journey entirely?
posted by inkyz at 7:57 PM on January 28, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older I am trying to rip a few of my...   |  Recently in a social situation... Newer »