Ripping Gaiam DVD for iPad - Handbrake Not Helping

I am trying to rip a few of my favorite Gaiam yoga DVDs for my iPad. I used Handbrake, but the ripped file resulted in a distorted picture (though the sound was fine). I tried various Handbrake settings, but the result was the same. How can I make this work, and view my DVD on my own device (damn you, DRM!)?
posted by Atrahasis to Technology (8 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

When you say distorted, what do you mean? Can you step us through what you did and have you tried deinterlacing?
posted by jessamyn at 3:29 PM on January 28, 2013

I have had really good luck with the free ripper here - http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/
posted by lemniskate at 3:31 PM on January 28, 2013

Does Handbrake still require VLC be installed for it to successfully decrypt during a DVD extraction?

Even though this is old, that's what it indicates: How to rip a DVD with HandBrake.
posted by smallerdemon at 3:36 PM on January 28, 2013 [2 favorites]

What kind of computer are you doing the ripping on? If it's a Mac, I have been using Mac DVD Ripper Pro (not free however) with great results, although I never had a problem with Handbrake.
posted by perhapses at 4:13 PM on January 28, 2013

Jessamyn, by distorted, I mean that I get a patchwork of multicolored squares.

To answer your second question, I set up the iPad mp4 file. I had tried various deinterlacing settings, with no improvement. Otherwise, I kept the standard settings.

I am on a Windows PC, but have access to a Mac. I also have VLC installed.

I'll look into the Mac DVD Ripper Pro for the Mac.
posted by Atrahasis at 4:16 PM on January 28, 2013

Patchwork of multicoloured squares sounds to me like the encryption on your DVD is doing what it was designed to do.

Try installing a decryption layer such as DVD43 or AnyDVD.
posted by flabdablet at 4:34 PM on January 28, 2013 [1 favorite]

If you've got an older Mac OS (10.6.8 or older), the older version of Mac The Ripper still works pretty well on about 90% of the DVDs I've tried it with. Not sure about the newer version.
posted by smallerdemon at 4:51 PM on January 28, 2013

You could try ripping the DVD with MakeMKV, then convert the resulting .mkv file with Handbrake.

Also, are you using the iPad preset in Handbrake?
posted by DakotaPaul at 5:11 PM on January 28, 2013

« Older Looking for an NYC therapist s...   |  Can someone suggest a module o... Newer »