ID a non-Waits song on Tom Waits Pandora station
January 28, 2013 12:57 PM Subscribe
Last week a neighborhood bar played a song I loved, and trying to identify it has been driving me crazy ever since. Details:
- Chorus has the solo female voice (second soprano?) singing something very close to "I dream in alcohol" and then another phrase with the same rhythm & number of syllables.
- Backing music is somewhat like a musette, husband says (He's a fan of gypsy jazz.)
- I believe the rest of the song was in English too, but I wouldn't swear to it because of bar noise.
- Other music heard on this station: Waits (obviously), Tiger Lillies, musettes
, modern chansons.
- Bartender said "It's the Tom Waits station on Pandora."
- Definitely not a Tom Waits song.
posted by ImproviseOrDie to sports, hobbies, & recreation (13 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
This bartender was about-to-pop pregnant and won't be working again for a while. Pandora was on her phone, so no one else there knows what it was.
Obviously you can customize Pandora to the point that you could hear just about anything. I've listened to the uncustomized Tom Waits station on Pandora and am getting mostly blues as related songs. I'm now trying Spotify using Tiger Lillies as the base, no luck.
As you can imagine, "dream in alcohol" or "dream of alcohol" or "dream alcohol" are giving me nothing workable in Google. The first two are too precise, and the last, without quotes, is way too general.
I must know what song this is. Please help me not feel like a middle-aged person who never discovers new music!