New video card, blue colours are off

Upgraded my video card from a Radeon HD 5770 to a GeForce GTX 660, now the blue colors are off (in some programs) and giving a purple tint...

So the full blues look purple in some programs, like in Windows Photo Viewer and Photoshop. For example, I have an image of a deep blue sky and it looks fine as a thumbnail in Windows Explorer. But when I open it in either Windows Photo Viewer or Photoshop, the blues have a purple tint/cast. If I set that image as a Desktop Background, the blues look fine. If I open that image in a browser, it has the purple cast. And I don't think it's just photos that affected, the "Downloaded" bar in µTorrent looks a bit purple now as well.

I have tried rolling back the drivers, but no luck. Not sure what to do next, any suggestions on how to fix this? If the blue is fine as a Desktop Background, then blues on the bottom layer is rendering correctly? But if the image is on a layer/in certain programs, the video card renders the blues incorrectly?

Specs (if it helps): Win 7 64-bit on i7 machine

posted by querty to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Check your cabling on both ends.
posted by ijoyner at 6:53 AM on January 28, 2013

Yeah sounds to me like a loose VGA cable.
posted by richrad at 8:23 PM on January 28, 2013

(It's very unlikely that the OP is using a VGA cable these days: more likely they're using a digital connection of some sort, either DVI, HDMI or Displayport.)

To me, this sounds like a colour correction issue. The programs you report as having the problem are all ones that are likely to apply colour correction to any image you view. Modern browsers do colour correction, as does Photoshop and (I believe) Windows Photo Viewer. It might be that the images you're seeing this problem are marked as being in a different colour space than your monitor (eg, if they're in Adobe RGB space, and the programs in question are converting to sRGB) and you're seeing the results of the converstion to the correct colour space in those programs that apply the transformation.
posted by pharm at 6:06 AM on January 29, 2013

Not a loose cable problem. I reset the color profile as instructed here and now it's fine. The monitor hasn't changed, so I'm not sure why changing the graphics card would mess up the color profile. But it's solved now.

posted by querty at 6:56 AM on January 29, 2013

You changed graphics card & drivers from one manufacturer to another, so it's not entirely surprising that the colour handling changed along the way.
posted by pharm at 4:43 AM on January 30, 2013

« Older I have a domain, myname.com, t...   |  I'm trying to identify the ide... Newer »