WTF happened to the view counters on my Youtube "Manage Videos" page?

Hi. I've had a weird fetishy tragi-comic cartoon web series thing for about 4 years now, and I obsessively monitor how many (or how few) people are watching it. But just recently, something weird and highly annoying happened with Youtube...

Until maybe a week or two ago, I could go to the "manage videos" page on Youtube and it would tell me how many views there had been for each video. It was useful, because the counters on that page were a little more current than the ones on the page for each individual video, and because I could quickly see how a bunch of videos were doing at once. Now that feature is suddenly gone, and the spaces where the view counters should be are all blank. All of the other info is still there, it still says when it was posted and if it was public or private and all that. But no view counters.

I've searched on Google for answers, I've tried to search on Youtube itself, and I can't find anybody else talking about this problem, let alone offering suggestions for how to fix it.

I should say that this happens in Firefox and not in Explorer, but I really don't like Explorer and Firefox is my preferred browser.
posted by Ursula Hitler to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

[Link deleted; folks can find the site via OP's profile.]
posted by taz at 1:28 AM on January 28, 2013

I should say that this happens in Firefox and not in Explorer

Maybe it's specific to plug-ins you are using with Firefox but not with Explorer. Could you disable all likely plug-ins on Firefox and try again? Or try it with another browser such as Chrome?
posted by pracowity at 2:10 AM on January 28, 2013

Nope. I tried disabling all the plug-ins and then reloading the page. Still no view counts. I also tried downloading the latest version of Flash of the Shockwave Player. Still having the same problem. It's such a strange little thing. I can still see the view counts on other people's videos. Just not mine.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 2:53 AM on January 28, 2013

Do a hard-refresh on the page (Ctrl+F5)
posted by deezil at 5:40 AM on January 28, 2013

Nope. It refreshed, but still no view count. Argh!
posted by Ursula Hitler at 5:46 AM on January 28, 2013

It may be related to the fact that YouTube recently cancelled something like 2 billion fake views over their entire service. They may also have updated the code for counters and done this to you.
posted by kalessin at 6:48 AM on January 28, 2013

The fact it appears in IE (have you tried any other browsers?) is key. It works fine for me in Firefox (18.0.1) so it must be something specific with your version of Firefox.

Try reinstalling/running a portable version and see if that fixes it.
posted by turkeyphant at 7:35 AM on January 28, 2013

>Try reinstalling/running a portable version and see if that fixes it.

I will try this, thanks.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 2:53 PM on January 28, 2013

I just tried checking it in Firefox on another computer... Same problem. This is really getting weird!
posted by Ursula Hitler at 3:35 PM on January 28, 2013

Can you show a screenshot?

What happened with your portable version of FF? What about on another account?
posted by turkeyphant at 6:04 PM on January 30, 2013

Thanks for asking, turkeyphant! I'd pretty much given up on this thread.

I tried it on Firefox on a different laptop, and had the same problem. It was messed up for a week or so, and then it suddenly just got better, all by itself. It's fixed now, and I hope it never screws up again.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 5:03 PM on February 1, 2013

« Older Doing a long-delayed errand, d...   |  Is adopting a dog sight-unseen... Newer »