Locating Manzanita

Does anyone know where specifically (like near what street) I might be able to find wild Manzanita Trees in Alameda County or Contra Costa County? I have heard they may grow on Mt. Diablo...

Sorry for the super specific question. I am trying to make my own Parrot Furniture.
posted by Infernarl to Pets & Animals (7 answers total)

They grow in high warm locations, so I have no doubt that Mt Diablo would be an ideal place. I feel like I've seen them on Lake Chabot Road, riding my bike up there, but I moved away a couple years ago and can't remember for sure. I can tell you where to find them in Santa Cruz county, but that's probably farther than you want to go. I'd also be careful before cutting random trees on the side of the road, that's probably illegal, especially in state parks.

You can also buy the trees at native plant nurseries, you could plant one in yor backyard and harvest branches whenever you needed them.
posted by tylerkaraszewski at 8:58 PM on January 23, 2013

You could also try looking in floral supply stores. Using manzanita and similar branches in large arrangements is super trendy right now.

In the LA flower district, there's even a store called Branches'N'More that is full of branches!
posted by dottiechang at 9:19 PM on January 23, 2013

They definitely grow in Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, and in some of the other East Bay Regional Parks up in the hills, though I can't remember the other specific parks I've seen them in.
posted by primalux at 10:06 PM on January 23, 2013

Oh I just saw you were looking for some you could cut down. Please do not cut down trees in parks. A large part of Mt. Diablo is a State Park and clearly, the East Bay Regional Parks are part of a park system as well. Not only is it illegal, it's a really really jerkish thing to do. (I work in the State Park district that Mt. Diablo is part of and we take that shit seriously.)
posted by primalux at 10:10 PM on January 23, 2013 [3 favorites]

I know that Henry W. Coe State Park in Santa Clara County (east of Morgan Hill) is loaded with manzanita, but it's also a state park. However, there's lots of private land nearby and inside the park that you might be able to collect legally from, with the property owner's permission. Certain manzanita species are endangered, you'd probably need to identify the species before collecting it.
posted by wnissen at 10:12 PM on January 23, 2013 [1 favorite]

Yeah, don't harvest manzanita in the wild, please. It's very allergic to human proximity.

Find a source that grows its own for sustainable harvest and selling. Please don't take it from any park.

Beware of Your Manzanita Source,
posted by trip and a half at 10:13 PM on January 23, 2013

You want to go to Santa Cruz.
posted by rhizome at 11:40 PM on January 23, 2013

« Older In a couple months I have to a...   |  Do I really need to stay home ... Newer »