I need a help with a vaca destination in Caribbean or Central America
January 22, 2013 1:18 PM Subscribe
I am planning a vacation and tortured by all the choices. I'm thinking of the Caribbean or Central America (but open to just about anyplace). I need help narrowing it down. The trip is for my husband, my 5 year old son and me. We'd be flying from Boston and going for a week. So much more inside...
posted by beccaj to travel & transportation (21 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
1. Planning for winter 2014 and thinking of a beach vacation.
2. Not a huge pain to get to (I don't want plane ride, then 4 hour ferry, then 2 hour bus ride, etc).
3. Airfare cheaper the better - I was hoping no more that 700 bucks a person.
4. Safe (I don't care about petty crime but don't want it to be a place that tourist crime is remotely common)
5. Friendly locals are a bonus (only been a couple places that that is been a problem)
6. Casual feeling is nice.
7. Not a heavy traffic area. ( My dream place would be in walking distance to a few restaurants and or shops but the area doesn't feel "busy" with lots of cars whizzing by.)
8. Something to do near by. It would be nice to get to go on some nature tour or something like that.
9. Not too "touristy". I know I have Playa del Carmen and Negril there, but I just don't want a place that has a Chili's and feels like the place is crawling with cruise ship day trippers.
A few places I love are Tulum, Playa del Carmen, and Negril.
2 places I hate? Cancun and Puerto Adventuras.
I'm open to a specific hotel or just a town or region.