Because "come here volcano!" is absurd to yell at 2 am

NameThisDogFilter: 8 week old island pup needs a new name for his new life. Obligatory adorable puppy pictures inside.

My uncle will be bringing this pup (photo 1 and photo 2) back from the West Indies on Saturday to start a new life in the US.

What we know:
They are calling him Volcano for now ("cane" for short), but it's not thrilling my aunt.
Its name doesn't have to be related to the islands (they already did that with the first rescue pup)
He is an 8 week old island mutt

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks Metafilter!
posted by zara to Pets & Animals (55 answers total)

That dude is a Buster Brown if I ever saw one.
posted by xingcat at 11:15 AM on January 22, 2013 [6 favorites]

I think he needs a name that reflects what a sweet and gentle looking fellow he seems, so I'm gonna go with Buster or Bobo.
posted by These Birds of a Feather at 11:16 AM on January 22, 2013

Really? He's a Baxter. Admit it.
posted by mochapickle at 11:17 AM on January 22, 2013 [5 favorites]

How about Pelée?
posted by phunniemee at 11:18 AM on January 22, 2013

Montserrat. Monty, for short.

(Montserrat is the location of a volcano in the West Indies)
posted by It's Never Lurgi at 11:19 AM on January 22, 2013 [2 favorites]

Actually, hilariously enough, It's Never Lurgi just guessed the name of their other island dog! Both dogs are from Monserrat, and the first one is named Monty. Well played.
posted by zara at 11:22 AM on January 22, 2013 [17 favorites]

We named the DOG Indiana.
posted by bensherman at 11:23 AM on January 22, 2013 [7 favorites]

That is a very cute dog. Very cute.

Since Monty is taken, I'd second either Buster or Baxter. Both seem to suit this very sweet and gentle pup.
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 11:24 AM on January 22, 2013

When I was younger, my sister was allowed to get a dog not dissimilar in appearance to this one. It was a female. She named it Lilly Belle. My brothers and I named it Starfox. She would answer to both.
posted by irishcoffee at 11:24 AM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Cricket (like the sport).
posted by jamaro at 11:26 AM on January 22, 2013 [3 favorites]

Bueller.
posted by MiggySawdust at 11:28 AM on January 22, 2013

For some reason he looks like a Duffle to me. Odd name but hey!
posted by Wysawyg at 11:29 AM on January 22, 2013 [3 favorites]

I like names that 1) lend themselves to cutesy nicknames and 2) are everyday items. My suggestions:
Windward
Rhubarb
Pepperoni
Squeegie

Am I the only person that is a little sad that "Volcano" for a name isn't sticking? Because I think that is a fantastic name for a dog.
posted by PuppetMcSockerson at 11:29 AM on January 22, 2013 [3 favorites]

Pluto.

Because magma that cools inside the Earth is known at Plutonic rock, and magma that exits the Earth and cools is Volcanic.
posted by DoubleLune at 11:29 AM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

He's adorable and looks like a Milo to me!
posted by snowysoul at 11:31 AM on January 22, 2013

Really liking Baxter.

Tell you what if the dog moves to the US to live, can I move there to live, you know to balance things out a little (and to get away from this below freezing kinda day).
posted by wwax at 11:32 AM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Or Tecto/Tectonium, because the volcanoes of the West Indies occur because of Plate Tectonics.
posted by DoubleLune at 11:34 AM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

I am an Expert Pet Namer™ and while I am irritated to not be the first to say it: yeah, that's a Baxter.
posted by FAMOUS MONSTER at 11:44 AM on January 22, 2013

Ever since the locals in Paraguay hilariously failed to pronounce my dog's name (Evee), I've been obsessed with calling a dog Kiwi. It just rolls off the tongue.

Kiwi! Kiwikiwikiwi!
posted by zug at 11:46 AM on January 22, 2013

Moocher, because with those eyes I'd be giving him treats hand over fist.
posted by bunderful at 11:47 AM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

I don't know why this came to mind, but I would totally name him Sergeant + whatever other name appeals, then mostly call him "Sarge [1st letter of other name]". No idea why, but that's what I would do for that adorable little fella.
posted by batmonkey at 11:56 AM on January 22, 2013

Sergeant Volcano!

Seriously, why isn't Volcano okay? Such a good name. Caine as an abbreviated name.
posted by nursegracer at 11:59 AM on January 22, 2013 [4 favorites]

Marley, of course.
posted by Benny Andajetz at 12:03 PM on January 22, 2013

As soon as I saw the photos, I thought, "Baxter!"

So, add me to the Baxter chorus.
posted by cooker girl at 12:09 PM on January 22, 2013

Bandit
posted by rhythm and booze at 12:10 PM on January 22, 2013

PuppetMcSockerson: "Am I the only person that is a little sad that "Volcano" for a name isn't sticking? Because I think that is a fantastic name for a dog."

Yeah, I'd stick with Cane/Volcano. Yelling "CANE!" at 2AM is certainly no less strange than loudly searching for Pepperoni.
posted by Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish at 12:13 PM on January 22, 2013 [2 favorites]

Kayak
Banjo
posted by Sassyfras at 12:17 PM on January 22, 2013

max
posted by koroshiya at 12:21 PM on January 22, 2013

Dutch.
posted by shiggins at 12:39 PM on January 22, 2013

He looks like he may take things a bit seriously. Gentle and sweet, but with a sense of decorum. I think he needs an honorific, Mr. Beasley for example.
posted by Marit at 12:41 PM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

He looks like a sensitive soul with those big romantic eyes. I say Byron.

Also, as the guardian of a Caribbean street dog, congratulations! They're the best.
posted by walla at 12:46 PM on January 22, 2013

A friend has named all his dogs after Beattle's songs, which inevitably leads him to frequently say: "HEY! Jude!"

(But that pup looks like a Baxter)
posted by donovan at 12:58 PM on January 22, 2013

The first Prime Minister of Jamaica was Sir Alexander Bustamente. That is the name of your dog. Buster to you.
posted by MuffinMan at 1:06 PM on January 22, 2013 [3 favorites]

Gordon
Stewart
Gus
Wombat
Huxtable
posted by carmicha at 1:29 PM on January 22, 2013

Benji or Walden.
posted by capricorn at 1:37 PM on January 22, 2013

I like giving pets slightly old-fashioned people's names. How about Henry? Or Chester?
posted by ablazingsaddle at 1:57 PM on January 22, 2013

Sport
posted by txmon at 2:13 PM on January 22, 2013

Barney? Something about his adorable face reminded me of Barney Rubble from the Flintstones.
posted by rpfields at 2:16 PM on January 22, 2013

What's the puppy's personality like? I like names to reflect something you can't see immediately. A name can be a way to know him better in a short time.
posted by amtho at 2:16 PM on January 22, 2013

Mister LavaLava.
posted by radwolf76 at 2:37 PM on January 22, 2013 [2 favorites]

Are you political? If one of the dogs is named Monty, I couldn't resist naming the other one Brewster. Whenever all of the candidates for a particular office suck, I always write in Monty Brewster as my candidate of choice. NONE OF THE ABOVE!!! NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!
posted by 2oh1 at 2:52 PM on January 22, 2013

Ginger.

If you feel like Ginger is too feminine a name for a male dog, what about Solomon Gundy? Sol for short.
posted by Sara C. at 2:58 PM on January 22, 2013

In connection with Monty for Montserrat, what about Lee for the Leeward Islands?
posted by Sara C. at 2:59 PM on January 22, 2013

I once had a dog named Whoopie. Even when I was yelling at her in anger, I sounded so happy.
posted by Splunge at 3:55 PM on January 22, 2013 [2 favorites]

Looks like a Dusty to me. Although I LOVE nursegracer's "Sergeant Volcano".
NO to Max...most commonly given dogs name.
Buster and Baxter are both darling, too -- I lean towards Buster.
But yeah ... Dusty. :)
posted by batikrose at 3:55 PM on January 22, 2013

Rules of thumb for dog names: two syllables, second one a vowel sound. Easy to say (or holler) and easy for the beast to learn and recognize in a noisy environment.

With those rules and your first instinct (that's another rule of thumb for pet names; go with your instinct): "Cano" (sounds like kay-no).
posted by notyou at 4:04 PM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Aww, he looks like a Beauregard to me. I can just imagine calling "Beau! Beau!" into a field and see him running back like a sweet but totally crazy awesome guy he is.
posted by boobjob at 4:24 PM on January 22, 2013

Canno (accent on the first syllable, punning Danno, an island character from another century).
posted by the Real Dan at 5:03 PM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Eugene.
posted by yoga at 5:18 PM on January 22, 2013

I'm calling him Rocket. You can call him what you like.
posted by BostonTerrier at 5:26 PM on January 22, 2013 [2 favorites]

Ruben
posted by sciencegeek at 5:37 PM on January 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Casper
posted by trip and a half at 6:36 PM on January 22, 2013

Hi All, Thanks SO MUCH for all the suggestions. So far the leaders are Baxter, Sergeant, Cricket, Buster and Luther (because we all love the show). Pup shows up on Saturday, and they will see what name fits him the best and I'll update. Thanks again!

(PS- Zug: They had a cat named Kiwi!)
posted by zara at 8:59 AM on January 23, 2013

How's the little guy doing? What did you end up calling him?
posted by mochapickle at 4:33 AM on February 6, 2013

Hi Everyone! He is doing really well, and is much much smaller in person than he looks in the photos, with tons of fun personality and quite the charmer. He ended up being named Tucker. I've added two new adorable puppy sleeping photo here, including one that he is sleeping with the oldest member (16 years we think?) and also former Montserratian Twoie.
posted by zara at 12:25 PM on February 6, 2013 [2 favorites]

« Older Dear Portland, I'll be spendin...   |  I love playing guitar, and I l... Newer »