Ultra-simple One-liner Link-blogs, List-blogs?

What are some minimalist blogs that link to something interesting (article, video, etc), and offer minimal explanation but for a concise remark about it?

I've been a fan of Waxy Links since the Netscape days, and lately I've become hooked on the minimalist design of Wimp.com..

No comment systems, no up/down votes, just links (or video links) with a simple one-liner about it, and updated regularly?

TBH, I'm trying to launch my own one of these (and trying not to shamelessly self-link) and I'm looking to find what works and doesn't work with this style.

I realize this style is not more widely popular, but my target/niche audience is to those who do like this style, as I do, and I hope to compete with those others.
posted by Quarter Pincher to Computers & Internet (13 answers total) 19 users marked this as a favorite

...Tumblrs galore?
posted by dhartung at 4:39 PM on January 19, 2013

Cliff Pickover's Reality Carnival leans heavily toward physics/timecube/weird stuff.
posted by cmoj at 4:41 PM on January 19, 2013

Arts & Letters Daily from the Chronicle of Higher Ed seems to fit this description in the world of, well, arts and letters.
posted by kickingthecrap at 4:56 PM on January 19, 2013

Your efforts to not shamelessly self-link did not succeed. Quickish does this for sports, except it includes excerpts and doesn't add commentary at all. Also, this is the primary purpose of Twitter for a lot of people.
posted by acidic at 5:02 PM on January 19, 2013

Christian Neukirchen's Trivium.
posted by silentbicycle at 6:11 PM on January 19, 2013

That pretty much describes Instapundit. (Of course, it's politics and he has a definite point of view.)
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 6:36 PM on January 19, 2013

Memepool is back, for those who hadn't noticed (and are old.)
The New Republic added Reader last year.
The Browser consistently links to good stuff.
I like Noted without comment, but that's possibly because it's mine.

A more recent, if less ultra-simple, version of what you're describing has also emerged in the form of Evening Edition, The Brief, NextDraft(sort of; it's a mailing list/iOS app).
posted by Su at 7:29 PM on January 19, 2013

LargeHeartedBoy is like that.
posted by CathyG at 8:09 PM on January 19, 2013

popurls.com is more of an aggregator. And also, you hover to get the comments, but yeah, it is mostly what you are looking for.
posted by seasparrow at 8:10 PM on January 19, 2013

The Morning News puts out a morning and an afternoon post like this every day with about 15-20 links. (If you go to the site it's the content on their sidebar, I usually only see it via RSS feed.)
posted by platinum at 11:30 PM on January 19, 2013

In Montreal, there's mtlweblog for local news. It has comments, but I subscribe to the RSS Feed.
posted by oranger at 7:36 AM on January 20, 2013

Bifurcated Rivets has been around forever.
posted by Chrysostom at 8:38 AM on January 20, 2013

Not Martha is the first blog that popped in my head.

(and is actually how I found out about metafilter, since she links to various posts here regularly)
posted by lea724 at 8:46 AM on January 20, 2013

« Older Why does Andrey Yefimitch, in ...   |  My partner just ended our rela... Newer »