Cookie recipes sought, All kinds. That's all. Thank you.

I have an electric oven that goes up to 300 degrees Celsius (around 150 degrees Fahrenheit). Do tell!
posted by beshtya to Food & Drink (23 answers total) 35 users marked this as a favorite

300 C is 572 F, no? That's really not a constraining factor when you're baking cookies.
posted by estlin at 1:43 PM on January 18, 2013 [3 favorites]

In general, despite what the recipe says about the fats, you want half butter, half shortening.
posted by seanmpuckett at 1:46 PM on January 18, 2013

The "cookies" or "cookie" tag is good for this, but here's my cookie Askme that has lots of good answers.
posted by atomicstone at 1:49 PM on January 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

My favorite cookies are these oatmeal raisin cookies.
posted by steinwald at 1:50 PM on January 18, 2013

I'm guessing you just flipped the units.

Yes, 300 F is lower than most cookie recipes... but if you google for "Preheat oven to 300" and cookies, you'll find a lot of suggestions ...such as these peppermint bark cookies or these eggnog cookies.
posted by estlin at 1:51 PM on January 18, 2013

these peanut butter cookies, with oatmeal, chocolate chips & sea salt (see caption)
posted by changeling at 2:01 PM on January 18, 2013

Go to Pinterest and type "cookie recipes" in the search field. There are more cookie recipes than you can shake a stick at.
posted by ATX Peanut at 2:03 PM on January 18, 2013

Get yourself a copy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. Go nuts. I'm not a vegan, and I don't even cook for vegans regularly these days, but I got this book because it has a bunch of creative recipes that go beyond your standard sugar, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, etc, while still being not too fiddly to bake fast.

So far I've tried the oatmeal espresso chocolate chip cookies, the citrus glitters, and the tahini lime cookies. All winners.
posted by ActionPopulated at 2:07 PM on January 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

Science has determined that the best chocolate chip cookie recipe is the New York Times Jacques Torres recipe, and I whole-heartedly agree.
posted by saeculorum at 2:08 PM on January 18, 2013 [4 favorites]

Maple Bacon Breakfast Cookies
invented by yours truly ::brag::

-Coat 4 or 5 strips of thick-cut bacon liberally in brown sugar.

-Lay bacon out on a rack and bake in the oven at around 350F until done (30 minutes-ish?).

-Cut the now candied bacon into 1-inch(ish) segments.

-Beat 1 stick butter, 3/4 c. packed brown sugar, 2 tsp. maple flavoring. Beat in one egg.

-Gradually beat in 1 hefty cup of flour, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, and 1/2 tsp. salt.

-Fold in your candied bacon.

-Bake at 350 deg. for about 8 minutes.

Makes 2 dozen.
posted by phunniemee at 2:15 PM on January 18, 2013 [5 favorites]

The (Allegedly) $250 Neiman Marcus (Chocolate Chip) Cookie Recipe. Mmmmm... mythalicious....
posted by ubiquity at 2:19 PM on January 18, 2013

Look no further than the Momofuku Milk Bar for the two cookie recipes most likely to send me to the hospital: I'm more of a fan of savory desserts. Super-sweet stuff just doesn't do it for me. Both of these recipes are on the salty/buttery end of the cookie spectrum, and when I'm alone with them they make me do terrible things to myself.

I never truly understood the depths of pain and remorse an addict might find themselves in until I devoured an entire batch of the cornflake cookies -- some in dough form -- and spent the next several hours languishing in distended-belly agony.

The corn cookies I've only made once, for a family gathering, but they were so unrelentingly delicious that they disappeared in a matter of minutes and I'm terrified of what I might do to myself if I were to make them again.

So, there you go. Careful now.
posted by sportbucket at 2:25 PM on January 18, 2013 [4 favorites]

Google "World Peace" cookie recipe. It's a wonderful, slightly salty, chocolate cookie. Some say chocolate chips are optional, but the cookie is much better with, than without - and I think the mini-chips are best for this cookie. Also, don't over-bake, i.e., they won't look "done" when you take them out of the oven, but will cool to just the right consistency/texture.
posted by she's not there at 3:15 PM on January 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

It's hard to bake many cookie recipes at less than 300 F, in part because they have raw egg in the mix.

However! Some cookies don't even require cooking!

Try this buckeye cookie recipe, which is about as easy as cookies get, or this one for rum balls. No baking required!

You can also try skillet cookies, which are a bit messy and sticky but flavorful and easy to make.

And Martha Stewart has a Shortbread cookie recipe that bakes at 300 degrees! You'll want to make the dough ahead of time and give yourself an extra hour to chill it first.
posted by misha at 3:21 PM on January 18, 2013

My great-grandmother's hamentaschen recipe makes, hands down, the best hamentaschen I have ever eaten. Call me biased, but I'm pretty sure they're the best.

You'll need:

3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine (Crisco if you want ’em pareve)
1 egg
2 T orange juice
Filling of choice– blueberry or apricot jam, Nutella, poppyseed or prunes. I really like them filled with apples, chopped up fine and mixed with a little honey and a lot of cinnamon.

Directions:

Mix sugar, flour, BP, salt in bowl; work in softened (NOT melted) butter

separate bowl– mix egg and OJ, then add to rest of ingredients; mix until it’s dough.

Refrigerate 1 hour.

Roll out, cut into circles– use a cookie cutter or a large drinking glass for this. Place large spoonful of filling in center of each circle, and pinch dough into a triangle around it. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.

Cookies will be crisp when they first come out of the oven, but seal them in Tupperware for the night and they will get soft and ridiculously delicious.

Enjoy!
posted by nonasuch at 3:24 PM on January 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

As a matter of fact, I just finished baking a batch of these oatmeal cookies. I add just over 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts and the same amount of chopped dried pineapple to the recipe, and they are amazing. It's hard to explain how great the pineapple works, but I highly recommend people try it. I originally stumbled onto it because we were out of raisins, and my family won't let me make them any other way now. The best thing about this recipe is that if you are careful not to over-bake, they stay soft and chewy for several days if they last that long.
posted by gimli at 3:26 PM on January 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

I also make homemade turtles every year at Christmas, which are a big hit.

I line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper and lightly toast some pecans, cut in half, on it. Then I use the pecans to make the turtle feet and heads, 5 halves loosely grouped together for each turtle. They don't have to be pretty, so don't worry about the layout too much.

Melt some caramel (can be a bunch of wrapped Kraft caramels you make your kids unwrap for you, or you could even try some caramel ice cream sauce and see how that goes) until it reaches the consistency you want, and pour it over the pecans. We like soft, chewy caramel, and lots of it, YMMV.

Meanwhile, I melt the semisweet chocolate. I have a special chocolate melting thing that's basically a glorified fondue pot that keeps the chocolate liquified, so I use that with fancy baking chocolate, but you can use chocolate chips in the microwave if you want to. No one will notice!

Pour the chocolate over the caramel and pecans, and then chill the turtles in the fridge, just 'til the chocolate sets. You do not want rock-hard caramel in there. Booyah, you're done. Easy peasy!

They store well at room temp in an airtight container, and last about a week if your family doesn't find them and eat them first. :)
posted by misha at 3:41 PM on January 18, 2013

Brown Butter Sugar Cookies are the best cookies ever.
posted by banannafish at 3:42 PM on January 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

Stopping by to recommend Swedish drommar cookies ("dream cookies"). If you like butter cookies, these are awesome, but they are difficult to make so read all the comments on the recipe before you attempt them.
posted by treehorn+bunny at 4:08 PM on January 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

The corn cookies sportbucket mentioned are crazy-good. Using all the sugar gets me a cookie close to Cap'n Crunch, but I'll usually reduce the sugar for something a little more savory. Great either way.
posted by Room 641-A at 6:31 PM on January 18, 2013

If your oven really tops out at 300F, go for meringues!!! Google for lots of recipes-simple, inexpensive, delicious. I especially love them dipped in a little choc or served with a little whipped cream and berries.
posted by purenitrous at 8:12 PM on January 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

Cookies from 2009. I asked for the best recipes and I got a lot of great answers.
posted by SuzySmith at 9:06 PM on January 18, 2013

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies - or Chocolate Chip Cookie-covered Oreos. Pretty easy (no cookie scoop necessary), and each one is a LOT of cookie.
posted by cdefgfeadgagfe at 2:32 PM on January 19, 2013

« Older I sometimes have trouble under...   |  I'm organizing a conference wh... Newer »