Identify this book...

Some stray thought reminded me of a book that I enjoyed in the early eighties (I think). It was a post-apocalypse sci-fi where people wandered around fighting each other 1-on-1 in rings. Very honor-bound with strict rules. ...

The rings were literal circles, not arena's, and I think they'd have a few buildings where people would stay. There were a limited number of weapons allowed in the circle, I'm pretty sure a club/s was one and rope, probably a sword.

There was a mountain where the dishonored went to die, or at least the hero did, but it turned out there was a bunch of scientist hiding in the mountain and they took him in and turned him into a superman who went back out to unite the tribes or something like that. I think ultimately he lead them back to take over the scientist's mountain as well.

Google isn't helping as my search terms are too vague so any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks
posted by Awfki to Media & Arts (2 answers total)

Battle Circle novels by Piers Anthony
posted by jsturgill at 11:52 AM on January 17, 2013

Thanks. I went back to Google and had just come back here to post that same link. It turned out that "rope" was the word I needed to include and the "Sos the Rope", apparently book one, turned up as about the fifth hit.

Thank you
posted by Awfki at 11:54 AM on January 17, 2013

« Older Looking for a solid, reliable ...   |  What did we witness happening ... Newer »