Dog disease-Mange

Family dog overseas has the disease Mange. Need more information around a possible cure for it.

Our family dog overseas has Mange. He is a purebred German Sheppard, 8 years old, male. He got this around 2 years back and my family has been trying to get rid of the disease for awhile with no luck. The poor thing suffers a lot as he cannot sit for long periods without itching. We have tried acid baths (the ones recommended by vets) and other medicines available in Asia but with no luck and also these damage the liver as far as we know. Although he is not in the severe condition as you may see some of the dogs in the link given above (he still has a good coat of hair) he still needs regular medication.

Since this is Asia we are talking about and the facilities/medicines available there I am now on a hunt for a solution in USA. Some questions below--

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Do you know if there is a cure?
What kind of veterinarian specialist (if any) should I consult?
What exactly is a Tick doctor as it relates to a veterinarian?
Any links to knowing more on it?

The goal is to see if there is anything out there that we can try and havent done so far.

Thank you.
posted by pakora1 to Pets & Animals (9 answers total)

Perhaps diet can help boost his immune system? Maybe switch to a raw food diet, and see if supplements such as yeast can help?
posted by KokuRyu at 2:00 PM on January 16, 2013

The Merck Manual says selamectin, applied topically is the treatment of choice. Selamectin is usually sold as Revolution or Stronghold.
posted by atrazine at 2:10 PM on January 16, 2013 [2 favorites]

There are two kinds of mange, caused by two different species of mites: demodectic and sarcoptic. The first kind is pretty common in puppies and immunocompromised dogs, and isn't contagious, because it's an overgrowth and allergic reaction to mites that naturally populate dogs' skin. Some dogs can't get rid of it because their immune reaction doesn't go away.

The second kind, AKA scabies, is a different species of mite that's super contagious and can spread to humans. I'm guessing that this dog has the first kind because, unless the dog never goes inside, I don't think owners would live for two years with a dog with scabies.

My dog had demodex as a pup, and we cured it with very high doses of ivermectin given orally, which is generally used as a dewormer. This worked great, though it took two courses of treatment. There are some dogs that can't tolerate ivermectin -- can't remember which pure breeds they are (Google it, not hard to find), but mine isn't one. I've heard of natural remedies like lemon juice and such, but a vet will give the hard stuff.

It's a sucky disease, but it's generally curable or at least controllable, and anything that boosts immune response is probably helpful.
posted by mneekadon at 2:11 PM on January 16, 2013 [5 favorites]

... and I've never heard of a "tick doctor."
posted by mneekadon at 2:13 PM on January 16, 2013

Wikipedia suggests, in addition to the above, weekly sulfurated lime rinses (lime as in the mineral, not the fruit).

"A number of parasitical treatments are useful in treating canine scabies. Sulfurated lime (a mixture of calcium polysulfides) rinses applied weekly or biweekly are effective (the concentrated form for use on plants as a fungicide must be diluted 1:16 or 1:32 for use on animal skin)."
posted by Sunburnt at 2:14 PM on January 16, 2013

Ivermectin can be toxic to herding breeds. There's a genotyping test you should use before giving it to dogs from those breeds. I don't know about German Shepherds but other shepherd dogs are vulnerable.
posted by atrazine at 2:40 PM on January 16, 2013

A friend of mine had really good results with plain old-fashion Listerine!
She poured it on and let it dry several times a day.
posted by donaken at 3:08 PM on January 16, 2013

Very recently someone asked about the same topic.
posted by Dansaman at 3:12 PM on January 16, 2013

IANAV, TINVA

I've had multiple mange (demodectic) fosters, and the shelter I work with gives Ivermectin (a clear thick liquid put on food or syringed into their mouth) -- available cheaply & without RX if you purchase it for horses from a farm supply store. Usually takes about 4-6 weeks of daily dosing to clear up completely (but I saw results within 48 hours). However, before you consider that, you would need to research it for yourself to find dosing & whether or not it's appropriate for your breed of dog.
posted by MeiraV at 7:17 AM on January 17, 2013

« Older I spent 4 years learning Frenc...   |  I would like advice on creatin... Newer »