Documentaries and other films about writers, libraries and books wanted!

I'm especially interested in films about writers of color and writers from the global south. Any kind of film is fine - need not be a documentary. But a progressive/radical/critical outlook is appreciated! Particularly looking for films that will appeal to an intelligent but not super-theorized audience - ie, that documentary about Derrida is not what we're looking for, and even the recent one about Zizek is an edge case.

I'm part of a book-focused radical project. We're looking to show some films about books! The audience is basically left-wing nerds, so you can assume some patience with difficult ideas or unusual pacing. Not too much with the "sexy, sexy reading" angle, though (The Pillow Book is the kind of thing we'd avoid) since this is for a fairly general audience and honestly, many of those "sexy, sexy reading" movies have kind of screwed up gender and/or racial politics anyway.

But otherwise, recommend away! Kids' movies are also welcome!
posted by Frowner to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

The movie Frida about Frida Kahlo's life is good (as far as being a writer, she did keep a detailed journal for many years)

Also, the Spike Lee movie, Malcolm X? (he wrote his autobiography)
posted by bearette at 7:28 AM on January 9, 2013

In A Dark Time. Theodore Roethke talks about poetry and reads some of his work.
posted by Pudhoho at 8:10 AM on January 9, 2013

The Motorcycle Diaries is based on Che Guevara's memoir.

Capote.
posted by Ms. Toad at 8:14 AM on January 9, 2013

He's not of color or from the global south, but the film length interview with William Gibson called No Maps for these Territories is plenty progressive and discusses his view of how the global south influences "the west."
posted by digitalprimate at 8:32 AM on January 9, 2013

« Older I made a pilaf with young hen-...   |  I wear glasses and when I ride... Newer »