I think there's a crossed wire...or my car is determined to die
January 4, 2013 10:53 AM Subscribe
How could changing a car's battery cause the panel lights to come on when turning the car OFF? Or is everything in my car falling to pieces coincidentally at the same time?
posted by Eicats to Technology (13 answers total)
I ended up needing a jump on a couple of different occassions, and although it is cold enough where I live to drain a car battery, I figured that it is the original battery and probably just time for a new one.
Unfortunately, by the time I was forced to that conclusion and was able to purchase a new battery, the only place open in town for service is a place I have had a horrible past experience with and has a reputation with others for shoddy work. Well, I thought, it's just a battery change. Ha!
I have a Dodge Stratus ('02 or '03) and to get to the battery, you have to take off the front driver's side wheel. (bad sign: I had to tell them this. otherwise they didn't know how to get to the battery.) Well, despite having to constantly check (hey guy, how's it coming along?) because the young kids in the back seemed to do more time fooling around than actual work on my car, it seemed to turn out ok--[they did an electrical systems test] the old battery indeed registered dead on their test, the new battery checked out fine, and the alternator and starter checked out fine. Great! But when I get home and turn off the car, the oil indicator light and the transmission indicator lights (the panel that has the letters for park, drive, reverse, etc.) come on. To clarify: these lights are not supposed to be lit up when the car is off and there's no problem with the oil (the light doesn't come on when the car is on).
Of course, by this time, everywhere is closed, and I end up leaving a voicemail for the service place (what the hell did you guys do?!) and pulling fuse #11 so the indicator lights don't drain my new battery all night. I haven't been able to go in yet and thought I'd query metafilter because I trust your collective wisdom more than the "mechanics" at this place.
So what happened? Did they hook something up wrong? Is it a faulty fuse? --if it was, wouldn't the lights just not come on at all?