I hate numbering these stupid things

I have a word document (a functional specification) with a bunch of tables and in these tables every row is a requirement. The tables are often separated by blocks of text (business logic, calculations, screen shots, data modle, etc). Each requirement needs to be numbered. I want every row in every table to be numbered in increments of 10, the numbering continuing from table to table. I don't want to have to do this manually.

What I would love to be able to do is just throw a place holder in the first cell of every row and then do a find/replace that replaces the place holder with the next number in the sequence. Is there a built in function that can do that? Currently we're doing all the numbering manually and holy hell it is a pain in the ass since some of our documents have thousands of requirements. I'm to the point where I'm willing to make a little program that will do this for me, but before I did that I wanted to see if there was some easier way or if it already existed.
posted by PuppetMcSockerson to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You can use an auto-incrementing counter field. I don't know if it supports changing the incremental value (I don't have a copy of Word in front of me right now) but if it doesn't, you can multiply it by 10 within the field to get your desired result, or just append a zero.
posted by bcwinters at 7:11 AM on January 4, 2013

It should also be pretty trivial to write a macro in VBS that consists of a while loop that starts a counter off at 10, search for the next instance of "PLACEHOLDERTEXT", replaces "PLACEHOLDERTEXT" with "REQ###" (where ### is the value of the counter), and ends when it hits the last requirement.
posted by sparklemotion at 7:28 AM on January 4, 2013

I ended up just making an app myself that does it.
posted by PuppetMcSockerson at 10:59 AM on January 4, 2013

« Older My Tumblr has stopped posting ...   |  Online Maps for Running/Biking... Newer »