HyperCard reference manual?

I just got a friend's ancient Mac with a copy of HyperCard 2.4 on it, and I've gone through the tutorial but I can't figure out how to actually make stacks and write scripts. Anyone know where I can find the HyperCard reference manual or a good tutorial? (I'd prefer the manual.)
posted by glass origami robot to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Apple’s manuals covered the basics, but may be hard to find. Ideally you’d find an inexpensive used copy of Danny Goodman’s Complete HyperCard 2.0 [or 2.2] Handbook.
posted by D.C. at 4:55 AM on December 30, 2012

try this this blog post which might help; he walks through the process of making a small calculator in HyperCard (with screen shots of the process). The Wikipedia page for Hypercard has a link to a PDF Hypercard manual from Apple.
posted by gds at 5:09 AM on December 30, 2012

HyperCard or HyperCard Player?
posted by grouse at 6:25 AM on December 30, 2012

This Ars Technica article is a useful source of information about Hypercard - the author includes a list of some of the more important stacks that people in the industry were producing at the time - there are also links to interviews with some of the major players. I would second getting hold of a copy of the second edition of Danny Goodman's book if you can.
posted by rongorongo at 7:23 AM on December 30, 2012

What you want to do (assuming it is real HyperCard and not the player) is google HyperTalk, the language itself. Here is one overview.
posted by skbw at 9:07 AM on December 30, 2012

Seconding one of Danny Goodman's HyperCard books. He worked closely with the team from early on, so they are in-practice the proper manuals. The printed stuff than Apple provided was very thin.
posted by w0mbat at 11:39 AM on December 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older I Have no https access. i hav...   |  Can anyone recommend a decent ... Newer »