Can you help me find a home theater or speaker system that meets my needs? Things seem to have changed since I last looked a decade or two ago.
We moved and it seemed to be a good time to buy a new TV, since the last one we bought was from 1999 or so. On our old CRT TV we had a HD Tivo hooked up over RCA cables and a older Mac Mini hooked up with a DVI to S-video conversion. We controlled the TV through the Tivo and the MacMini through its small remote.
We bought a Panasonic TC-P60GT50
plasma, which is a pretty big step up from what we had. The HD Tivo hooked right up through HDMI, but when I hooked up the Mac with a DVI to HDMI cable I learned that the sound didn't transfer over that cable easily. The TV speakers are also not awesome, and it can be hard to hear conversations without cranking the volume up.
What I am hoping to find is a home theater system that can:
- allow us to connect many devices to the receiver or amplifier and only have one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV
- allows us to connect the Mac mini in such a way that the sound gets included in the signal to the TV.
- works with the TV sound as we do watch streaming movies directly on the TV
- can accept a Wii or other game system when the kids get old enough.
- has some sort of sound leveling or equalization so that we old folks can hear conversation on the quiet parts of movies but then the action parts don't blast the kids awake.
- since we are getting speakers and have a computer hooked up, it would be nice to play music easily. We have iOS devices, so I think Airplay is a way to go?
- being able to minimize the number of remote controls would be great. I visit friends who have so many controls it is hard to figure out how to work anything. An easy to work system would be best.
And of course I don't know what I don't know, so other advice is appreciated, including other places to ask. We want something decent and long lasting, but we don't need anything crazy expensive. Are we asking too much? What do you recommend?