are originally from Mexico and they are now living here in the States with an aunt of mine. My 86 year old grandfather
has spent his whole life on his ranch, with his cows and crops so being stuck in a house all day is really hard on him (he has loads of problems with his knees, a mild case of Parkinson’s and he’s lost a lot of mobility so he can’t really walk or move much). I’ve been working on recording some of their stories to include in a photo album I am creating of old photographs. He gets rather cheerful when he gets to tell me his stories as I’m really the only one who ever asks him, so its more of him being happy for the attention I think, which is great! I want to see him happier and excited, so I thought for 2013 every week I want to surprise him with something new. There are many things he’s never tried and never seen that I want to share that with him. So Hive, can you give me some ideas as to what surprises I can share with him?
A few questions to get you thinking:
- What are things you’ve tried that you are so happy you’ve tried before you died?
- Treats, foods, little experiences are things I’m looking for
- Things that have accompanying stories
- What are things we can do together as grandfather and granddaughter?
A few facts about my grandfather:
- He has 12 sons and daughters and +60 grandchildren
, +15 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandbabies
- LOVES candy, chocolate, dessert, sweets
- He used to be the mayor of his town in Mexico and was very well known for speech writing and political strategy, he watches the news and Mexican politics news all day
- He refuses to leave the house without his gorra – He’s very traditional, small town Mexican man!
- When I was a child our teacher told the class to go home and ask our grandparents about WWII. I did. They had no idea what I was talking about and but instead told me all about la Revolución de los Cristeros. (thus my idea of teaching him of things he's never been exposed to)
- Not sure if he reads, if not then I’ll read to him, but must be in Spanish
- His cows are/were his pride and joy. Even mentioning them and his face lights up
- He does like to watch videos that I show him off my phone, so feel free to recommend short films / videos in Spanish (or with no audio/words) to share.
Any and all ideas are welcome, just remember I really can’t take him anywhere so they must be able to be done at home. Really my goal is to make this a weekly thing my grandfather looks forward to and we can talk, learn, laugh together. Thanks for your help!