How do you transform your pain through art
December 19, 2012 11:48 AM Subscribe
Do you express your pain through art? How do you do it?
posted by carolinaherrera to media & arts (9 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite
Several people have told me to transform my personal tragedies into artistic expression. But how do you do this?
I have some difficult experiences I'd like to transform through art, but I'm not really sure what that means on a practical level. I'd love to hear how others have used art as a way to transform tragedy, how happy you are with the finished product, how this plays a role in your life.
- Do you paint, draw, write, do performance art for this reason? What about it is cathartic for you?
- How is the process reflected in the finished product? Are there certain themes that show up? Or do you do a Norman Rockwell scene that just happens to be part of your process of getting over something truly terrible?
- Do you listen/watch/read art to inspire you? How do you get into it, without collapsing in pain or making it too self-indulgent?
- If you've been to an art therapist, what was it like? What did they do and how do you incorporate it into your life?
- How much formal training do you have and what difference did that make to the cathartic experience?
(I'm less interested in famous examples, as I know of many. I'm more curious about the process and what it means to you personally.)