December 18, 2012 4:09 PM Subscribe
[GiftFilter] I need a gift for my brother. Difficulty: Estranged siblings who talk 4 times a year at best.
posted by MinusCelsius to grab bag (22 answers total)
My brother (27) and I are "distant". There was no fallout or big fight, we just "went seperate ways" a few years ago. We meet about 4 times a year (Easter, Christmas, parents' birthdays) and pretend to get along perfectly for the sake of our parents. That is also the reason I need a gift - to keep up appearances.
In the past years, I tried to pick gifts he really likes, but I'm out of ideas. His gifts for me, if he remembers my birthday, are in the "picked this up on the gas station" category, so I frankly don't care about the "liking it" factor anymore. I just need something that looks like I mean well, if in reality, I have no clue. A "non-offensive" gift.
- I bought him Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition for his birthday 3 weeks ago. He used to love the game. He still hasn't downloaded it, so I guess PC games are no option.
- He used to play tabletop games (Warhammer 40K). Gifts relating to it (models, books) went ignored/untouched.
- I think he goes to industrial clubs, but I don't know what music exactly. So no CDs/music.
- His clothing style is dark/goth (?). Accessories are an option, actual clothes aren't (don't know his size).
- He likes Tolkien in general, Game of Thrones, has already seen The Hobbit and owns all books. Fantasy books are an option.
Most importantly: Under 30$, available on Amazon.